Very long ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheBasement

Reaction score
I brewed a SMaSH last Saturday 100% 2 row. 5 gallon batch with US-05 yeast. Pitched at 62 degrees and had an active krausen by Sunday morning. I set my chamber at 67 degrees and allowed the beer to creep up to that level which it hit on Monday. Here I am now on Saturday again, and I still have active fermentation and a krausen. I have never had a fermentation last this long. Is it possible I have a yeast problem? It's so strange because I have a good thick krausen and airlock activity. I did not rehydrate the yeast. Just sprinkled it on top. But I have always done that. Anyone think I will have a crappy beer?

You'll be fine. A yeast's gotta do what a yeast's gotta do. Are you able to check your current SG and compare it to your target? If you are getting close, you might want to slide the temp up to about 70F.

You might also give your fermenter a good shake or two to see if anything drops.

Once I had a krausen with US-05 until the day I cold crashed. It had been done, the krausen just didn't drop for whatever reason.

Well, I can tell that it is still fermenting. I get a steady, but slow flow of activity in the airlock and I still have krausen. I guess I jut have to let it do its thing. You can't rush nature. It's just so out of sync with how my ferments usually go.

OK, so it seems done. I checked the gravity last night and I am at 1.010. I tasted the sample and it tastes good, so I will chalk it up as another experience. Sometimes the yeast just likes a lazy ferment.

Interesting. I have my fourth batch in the carboy now and am experiencing the same thing with Safale Us-05. Started bubbling at about the 36 hour mark, built up about 1" of krausen and is still burping slowly at day 5. I was worried that something was wrong. I guess different yeast types behave differently. The English yeast (Windsor) on a stout I brewed, started bubbling vigorously within hours and stopped quickly.

Back