Very Little Head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossBones

Reaction score
Hi, folks. This weekend I sampled the first bottle of my second-ever batch or beer, Midwest's Superior Strong Ale, and it tastes AWESOME. I'm very happy to have finally produced a great-tasting ale (the first attempt at beer-brewing turned out very yeasty), but I notice that it really doesn't have much head at all when poured.

Is this an indication of too little carbonation? I followed the instructions carefully when adding sugar and bottling, so I'm not sure what happened. Any ideas what might have caused this? One note - I transferred the beer from the primary to a secondary after two weeks, and left it in the secondary for another week, but... I used a plastic pail for a secondary instead of a carboy. Since the pail has too much headspace for the little CO2 generated, I wonder if maybe that somehow inhibited the head in the bottle...?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!

Hoq long has it been bottled? At what temp has it been sitting? How long has in been in the fridge after bottle aging?

In the secondary a week, then bottled; in bottles for two weeks, at about 76-78 degrees (I know - probably too warm); in fridge for only about a day or two before opening.

Typical rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70 degrees to fully carb (for a normal beer). Big beers/lower temps can take longer.

Your higher temps may have helped carb up quicker. However, only a day or so in the fridge can lead to poor head retention. Give 'em a week and try again.

Make sure that you have no detergent residue on your glass - that will kill foam like nobody's business.

Of course, some recipes simply have more head than others.

3 weeks - gotcha. My previous batch, an Irish Red Ale, had a great head - and I really didn't do anything differently. Since I only refrigerated a few to sample, I'll wait another week before chilling the rest of the batch, and then another week before trying 'em again. Thanks!

Anywhere else on the internet, this would have been a post about life after marriage....

Latest posts

Back