[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I am trying to setup Rpints on a Pi3. I am not terrible with coputer stuff but I have hit a wall. I get to the installer page of Rpints and enter the root pw, database pw, and admin username/pw then hit setup. When the next screen loads I get the below message and have no idea how to fix it, any ideas?

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...
Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/2002): Connection timed out in /var/www/html/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52
Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!

Cannot connect the the database using the supplied information.

Please press the back button on your browser to fix these errors

When the next screen loads I get the below message and have no idea how to fix it, any ideas
The original Rpints doesn't work on Raspbian past Jessie/Wheezing because the MySQL calls it uses are depreciated most likely this error is because you cannot sign in as root on the latest msyql

an easier install process to get a version that works on the latest is to run this from the terminal on the pi
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

it will give you a choice to install mine (RandR+), Tobor, or original, Mine has a lot more features then the original and supports the latest OS, Tobor's is the original updated with the correct MySQL calls

The original Rpints doesn't work on Raspbian past Jessie/Wheezing because the MySQL calls it uses are depreciated most likely this error is because you cannot sign in as root on the latest msyql

an easier install process to get a version that works on the latest is to run this from the terminal on the pi
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

it will give you a choice to install mine (RandR+), Tobor, or original, Mine has a lot more features then the original and supports the latest OS, Tobor's is the original updated with the correct MySQL calls

Awesome! Thank you! Does this override the previous files or do I have to delete them?

Hi, apologies if this has already been covered in this thread. I have my three tap system working beautifully with flow meters but I'm considering adding a fourth tap to my keezer. Is this process straightforward or does it require a complete re-install?

Hi, apologies if this has already been covered in this thread. I have my three tap system working beautifully with flow meters but I'm considering adding a fourth tap to my keezer. Is this process straightforward or does it require a complete re-install?
No reinstall needed I think. Just change the amount of taps to four in the "taps" section and assign the correct pin to the forth tap.

I really like the new glassware a saw there are new "corny" images. How do I change the keg images to use them? I have been looking everywhere. Thanks for the great work!

Anyone know where I can source some of the flow meters? I’ve looked on eBay, Amazon and general web search. All I can find are the $60 ones. I run 3-5 kegs at a time and that would be a decent investment.

What do you mean by accurate enough?
I would say that if you wanted to use them for commercial measuring of flow then go with the swissflow, but for home hobby use they work great.

I haven't noticed any pours that are way off though, if I pour ~12oz it registers ~12oz

I would say that if you wanted to use them for commercial measuring of flow then go with the swissflow, but for home hobby use they work great.

I haven't noticed any pours that are
way off though, if I pour ~12oz it registers ~12oz

WAY close enough for me.

I’m sure this has been brought up, but I do a pressure transfer from my fermenter and typically do 10 gallon + batches. Remainders I transfer to a little 1.75 keg.

Can you use a flow meter to measure how much beer I’m transferring to the kegs?

Can you use a flow meter to measure how much beer I’m transferring to the kegs?
technically yes, but there is no feature of RPints that updates the current amount poured as a beer is pouring and it would also require you to wire the flow meter from the transfer hose to the Arduino

As for the Rpints feature, there are update messages that are sent to the python already so it just a matter of putting that into the database and displaying them on the screen

Those are a great price.

What do you mean by accurate enough?

I use the exact same flow meters that @RandR+ recommends, and I have not been disappointed.

The SwissFlo’s are the Cadillac of the ”affordable” flow meters, and if you can swing the price, go for it.

There is talk that Hall Effect flow meters (like the one RanR+ recommends) are susceptible when jostled around and positioned differently. Susceptible to the fact that your accuracy mileage may very.

To combat this and eliminate the variable, I have my meters in a static location in my kegerator.
3FB5BB0C-35A3-4F34-BF22-6F307A9AD030.jpeg

Ok, here's a bit of an "out there" feature request. I just upgraded from a 5# co2 tank to a 20# one...I'm thinking it would be nice to have the tank sitting on some sort of load cell platform connected to either the pi, or the Arduino. Use cases besides the obvious tracking the remaining amount left could include having some kind of alarm on the display if the tank starts losing weight constantly. Basically a weight based leak detector. I need to see if I can find any suitable weighing platform....

Ok, here's a bit of an "out there" feature request. I just upgraded from a 5# co2 tank to a 20# one...I'm thinking it would be nice to have the tank sitting on some sort of load cell platform connected to either the pi, or the Arduino. Use cases besides the obvious tracking the remaining amount left could include having some kind of alarm on the display if the tank starts losing weight constantly. Basically a weight based leak detector. I need to see if I can find any suitable weighing platform....

I use a Plaato keg to track me kegs and co2.

Lol, I should have known that this was an already solved problem. Seems like the load cell solution might be the more "fun" project, but the Plaato is very tempting for simplicity. I can see easily adding an "extra" tap that would contain the CO2 tank, but if there was some way to track it as CO2 that would be ideal...maybe an option to have it display on the home screen next to the temperature average.

Hello @RandR+ Have you been able to fix the issue where the pour registers far larger than it actually were calibrated for yet? (I believe this is a metric only issue) If not, is it possible to download the Rpints version from before the new calibration tool were implemented? Thank you for your work!

Have you been able to fix the issue where the pour registers far larger than it actually were calibrated for yet?
The calibration tool only sets the count per gallon/liter per the tap (you must have show pin setting checked to see it on the tap screen)
I did notice that it wasn't calculating the correct value to put there because of the unit of measure (i.e. it would calculate count per liter but then save it as count per gallon)and that was fixed

If you use the calibration tool, verify that the count per gallon/liter is correct on the tap and if pour are not correct then you can still manually change the count per gallon/liter to be correct
1602340176031.png

Forgive me if this has already been asked. Can I use an Arduino Uno Board in place of the Alamode board?
Thanks

I've just finished installing RaspberryPints using the recommended install script. I used @RandR+'s version. It's fantastic, thank you!! I've got it up and running and configured to some extend. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to sort out yet.
  • I believe the display is supposed to Auto Refresh, but mine does not appear to be doing that (or at least not very often). I'm not using flow meters, but as I change some of the configuration items, I don't see changes on the display. Oddly enough, viewing my taplist from another computer seems to have an auto refresh... EDIT: It seems to be working now. Is there a way to change how often it updates?
  • Is there a way to change the "reference" ABV to something other than 5% (or just not display the relative ABV as how full the glasses are)?
  • Is there an specific way to show a coming soon other than just appending "Coming Soon" to the beer name?
  • Is there any kind of guide or writeup regarding the Motion Detector, Flow Meters, Temperature, etc. Do they all connect to an Alamode Board or Uno?
  • I noticed that there's a space missing between the amount left in the keg and 'Gal'. See below. Same for the amount poured.
  • 1603831872477.png

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the "reference" ABV to something other than 5% (or just not display the relative ABV as how full the glasses are)?
ABV is setup in the Beer, you can setup OG/FG for auto calculation or just enter in the ABV you want.
You can turn off ABV images in configuration
1603832097774.png

Is there an specific way to show a coming soon other than just appending "Coming Soon" to the beer name?
Not right now.

Is there any kind of guide or writeup regarding the Motion Detector, Flow Meters, Temperature, etc. Do they all connect to an Alamode Board or Uno?
In short the Flow Meter connection right up is the same as the original Rpints. They cannot to the Arduino Shield
The Motion Detector and temperature probes options came out of this thread. there are not real write as they relate to Rpints but each has their own how to articles to connect. They both connect to the Raspberry Pi. If the temperature probes are hooked up correctly, RPints will see them and add them. The motion detector needs to be configured in the RPints admin Motion Detectors screen.
When you run my installer it prompts you to add the software needed for them, if you did not add them originally you can rerun the installer and reconfigure the system to add them.

I noticed that there's a space missing between the amount left in the keg and 'Gal'. See below. Same for the amount poured
I just fixed that. There is a Get Latest RPints (On Admin -> Install Page) that will pull the changes from Git
1603832669175.png

I've just finished installing RaspberryPints using the recommended install script. I used @RandR+'s version. It's fantastic, thank you!! I've got it up and running and configured to some extend. I have a few questions that I haven't been able to sort out yet.
  • [...]EDIT: It seems to be working now. Is there a way to change how often it updates?
  • Is there a way to change the "reference" ABV to something other than 5% (or just not display the relative ABV as how full the glasses are)?
  • Is there an specific way to show a coming soon other than just appending "Coming Soon" to the beer name?
  • Is there any kind of guide or writeup regarding the Motion Detector, Flow Meters, Temperature, etc. Do they all connect to an Alamode Board or Uno?
  • I noticed that there's a space missing between the amount left in the keg and 'Gal'. See below. Same for the amount poured.
  • View attachment 704237

The local console (monitor attached to the RPi) should update immediately after any changes, pours, etc. A remote console (web connected) can auto-refresh at a specified interval if there's the appropriate meta tag in the R'Pints web page index.php file. I know I added that tag in my own version but not sure if it's in RandR+'s version. The last line in the block below is what I added, value is in seconds, so that's a 5 minute interval.

Code:
<html>
    <head>
        <title>RaspberryPints</title>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
        <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300">

The ABV value reflects the "Beer" parameters entered when a beer is added to the user's table.
Flow meters connect to the Arduino, everything else connects directly to the RPi.

Don't know about the rest as I don't run that version...

Cheers!

[edit] Don't stick color tags inside a code block and expect them to be executed ;)

Last edited:
The local console (monitor attached to the RPi) should update immediately after any changes, pours, etc. A remote console (web connected) can auto-refresh at a specified interval if there's the appropriate meta tag in the R'Pints web page index.php file. I know I added that tag in my own version but not sure if it's in RandR+'s version. The blue line below is what I added, value is in seconds, so that's a 5 minute interval.
I missed this in my original post.

If Flowmon service is running (and stays running) when you open the tap display it will connect to the python and refresh whenever there is a pour automatically. I have a mounted tablet only connected to the wifi and it works great for this except when it loses WIFI or I restart Flowmon then I have to hit refresh to get it to reconnect.

If you enable displaying temperature probes on the main tap display page it will auto refresh every 5 seconds regardless. The temp probes do not send out the refresh signal

Thanks for the responses!

ABV is setup in the Beer, you can setup OG/FG for auto calculation or just enter in the ABV you want.
You can turn off ABV images in configuration

I have the ABV set, but I'm wondering if it's possible to (for example) make 6% ABV one full glass instead of 5% being one full glass, etc. I'm not necassarily requesting that feature if it's not there - just curious :)

In short the Flow Meter connection right up is the same as the original Rpints. They cannot to the Arduino Shield
The Motion Detector and temperature probes options came out of this thread. there are not real write as they relate to Rpints but each has their own how to articles to connect. They both connect to the Raspberry Pi. If the temperature probes are hooked up correctly, RPints will see them and add them. The motion detector needs to be configured in the RPints admin Motion Detectors screen.
When you run my installer it prompts you to add the software needed for them, if you did not add them originally you can rerun the installer and reconfigure the system to add them.

All three (3) get hooked up to the Ardunio (either Uno or Alamode?)? Are there recommended Temperature Probes and Motion Detectors? Or just any with the correct connections/voltages/etc.

I just fixed that. There is a Get Latest RPints (On Admin -> Install Page) that will pull the changes from Git
I clicked Update and nothing really happened. Do I have to run the script again to update?

The local console (monitor attached to the RPi) should update immediately after any changes, pours, etc. A remote console (web connected) can auto-refresh at a specified interval if there's the appropriate meta tag in the R'Pints web page index.php file. I know I added that tag in my own version but not sure if it's in RandR+'s version. The blue line below is what I added, value is in seconds, so that's a 5 minute interval.

I missed this in my original post.

If Flowmon service is running (and stays running) when you open the tap display it will connect to the python and refresh whenever there is a pour automatically. I have a mounted tablet only connected to the wifi and it works great for this except when it loses WIFI or I restart Flowmon then I have to hit refresh to get it to reconnect.

If you enable displaying temperature probes on the main tap display page it will auto refresh every 5 seconds regardless. The temp probes do not send out the refresh signal

It seems to be working now. But it keeps updating ever 5-10 seconds or so even though I don't have Temp, Motion, Flow, etc. enabled.

@RandR+ how hard would it be to create the ability to enter ‘manual’ pours?

I find myself frequently filling a mini keg for my neighbor (1.75 G) and I want to pressure transfer directly from a keg that is in use. I record my tare weights of my kegs and could easily calculate how much I take out and then add a ‘manual’ pour.

Thoughts?

Try copying settings in these images. I only have the plaato keg on 4 of my taps so far.

And then to get the last pour to update i modified a line in index.php so that the page reloads every 10 seconds:
@fun4stuff I like your taplist! Where did you get those numbers and how did you add them?

Back