[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally don't see the need to keep 1000s of records of pours from beers I had on tap 6 years ago - that's just DB bloat and makes queries run slower. Nothing wrong with keeping them there but you'll never see those records again.

If someone wants to clean up the pours table I was just offering a potentially faster (and maybe safer) option than accidently removing rows from active taps in the pours table and messing up the amount poured for active kegs.

Thanks for looking out for me @jbinbama. You’re right. The fear of removing wanted rows from the DB is real. (I Make sure to mess with the DB when I’m not drinking)

Me? I’m a data junky. I am not capable of purposefully deleting data....even if it’s six year old data (except my cleaner/starsan/rinse water pours, that’s just noise)

[shrug] I'm still running my original database since the first flow-meter-enabled installation on Memorial Day weekend 2014.
It's now 18MB with 12230 pours registered. Roughly 5.5 pours per day. So, pretty spot on :D
Pour updates still happen in a blink on an RPi2B.

I've occasionally charted the pour history on a batch through Excel to see how fast is was consumed. More curiosity than anything else, but occasionally it has affected my planning...

Cheers!

Last edited:
[shrug] I'm still running my original database since the first flow-meter-enabled installation on Memorial Day weekend 2014.
It's now 18MB with 12230 pours registered. Roughly 5.5 pours per day. So, pretty spot on :D
Pour updates still happen in a blink on an RPi2B.

That’s what I’m talking about!

I’m only 11,900 pours behind you!

Drink faster :D
I did have help - my boys love my beer - but as one of the first adopters I suspect pretty near everyone is somewhere behind me...

Cheers!

Was actually a bit surprised by the number of entries. To be honest I do often drink half pint pours and have had some foaming issues(forced carb/natural carb that gone bad) which may require a top off or two.

I periodically comb the database and remove any ghost pours. They happen every so often - usually on my higher-pressure CO2 line where I've been keeping various wheat beers over the years. Over a month I might find a handful of phony pours across all six taps, most often on my higher-carbed wheat beer line.

It's easy enough to scan the database by date and tickle the amountPoured threshold to see if any small pours happened. I just checked all pours for August so far and they're all legit...

Cheers!

In the beginning I monitored for phantom pours but did not see any so I have not looked in a while. Probably would not hurt to take a look once in a while.

I am using inexpensive flow meters and thinking maybe they are not sensitive enough or the courser filtering may let the bubbles slide. Foamy pours do mess up the accuracy, those kegs kick before getting to zero.

You really only see the end state of the pour. My SF800s average 5800 pulses per liter. At my serving pressure a liter pours in about 20 seconds, so during a pour they are running at 290 flashes per second, which is way to fast to see. Still, I find it useful to have an analog indicator that things are working.

One other thing I added was a set up DIP switches that can turn the SF800 pulse pin connection to the Arduino on and off. These allow me to disconnect the SF800 at the start of a keg when I'm flushing StarSan out of the line. The obvious alternative is just to wait until the beer is coming out of the tap before actually putting it on tap in RPints. I just had the DIP switches lying around.
I wondered about the DIP switches. I figured they allowed you to turn the SF800 on and off per se, but not why. Using it for flushing makes total sense! I appreciate your picture BTW, mine will look very similar I am thinking! I will post a pic when I am done.

Almost finished with my build.
From left to right ->
  • Arduino Mega 2560 (RPints)
  • Pi3 (RPints)
  • Pi Zero (TiltPi and Fermentrak)
  • Wemos D1 Mini (Not yet populated, running ESPHome for Kegerator monitoring and interior light, tied into HomeAssistant)
  • Wemos D1 Mini (Fermentrak Controller)
All that's left is adding the ESPHome Wemos into the box, terminating a bunch of cables, and clean up the wire runs. One of the 1/8" panel jacks is busted so I also have re-route that if I want all 4 flow meters.
20200815_222409.jpg

There's also a 2-port USB outlet on the right to charge my phone and thermo-pen.

Has anyone actually run any of the current RaspberryPints branches sketch on a Mega?
It may well work, but I cannot recall anyone actually trying it...

Cheers!

Has anyone actually run any of the current RaspberryPints branches sketch on a Mega?
It may well work, but I cannot recall anyone actually trying it...

Cheers!
I have R+R's running flawlessly thanks to this thread. Pin mappings are a bit off but it works! Running on pins 11, 12, 51 & 53

Attachments

• 20200816_003300.jpg
    20200816_003300.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks for that. Yeah, having done some development work using both Unos and Megas in parallel I'd expect a few pin changes would be required.
But it's good to know it'll work :)

Cheers!

The sketch uses PCINT calls, so long as you call the PCINT pin by number it works. Mega I believe gives you more options than the Uno. I had the Mega lying around so I tried it and got it to work after digging into the sketch and R+R's help.

Last edited:
Way more options - and waaay more code store :)
I did a project that eventually evolved beyond an Uno's capability but was right in the Mega's wheel house...

Cheers!

HA! I have no experience with the Arduino Uno, and frankly it seems very limited by spec. If we can get the RPints sketch running on an ESP32 than that would be awesome! Seems like that little board is way more powerful than an Ardunio, has multiple interrupts, and GPIOs, plus bluetooth. I'm all for the ESP01 & 8266s for home automation stuff, but just toying with these ESP32s in situations where I've run out of pins!

Noob here....I've got Raspberrypints installed up and running but for some reason I have vertical fields. How do I move them to horizontal? I've figured out how to change font, color and size but can't figure out how to rotate the brew lists. Any help would be great thanks in advance. I'm using R+.

Attachments

• 15976297202872019298469912774065.jpg
    15976297202872019298469912774065.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Is the raspberrypints the best place to get started for a new set-up? I am in the process of building out my kegerator and wanted to take advantage of Rpints.

If not, can someone point me to the most up to date post #?

Thanks!

Is the raspberrypints the best place to get started for a new set-up?
The rapberrypints website is good for hooking up the equipment side of Rpints, but not the installation as its for an older Raspbian.

there are multiple posts about installation. The jest of it is run this from the terminal (it will install all the dependencies and Rpints)
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

the RandR+ version is updated with a more features, the original will not work on Buster, Tobors is the original but will work on Buster.

RandR+ version is not well documented yet, but everything is configured through the admin page, mostly the Tap page to get flow meters configured.

In the admin section, on the configuration page there is "Show Tap List Direction" option for vertical or horizontal, just click on horizontal
Hahaha, I kept going through all the code pages thinking I was missing it. Turns out it literally was the most simple thing. Thanks for the help!

Prost!

I recommend just running this from the terminal
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

that will run an install script that will guide you through the process and do all the installation for you. The original Rpints code wont work on Buster because php depreciated the calls used to access the database. during installation you will be prompted what version to install: mine (more features then the original), Tobor's (original that works on new Raspbian) or the original (wont work)

Okay I finally got everything installed using your version. I selected the wrong screen orientation. Any tips for rotating it 90 degrees?

rerun the installer, and select reconfigure pi, from there it will do the same prompts and you can correct the rotation

Thanks. I assume the default is vertical? I selected "rotate 90d clockwise" thinking it would put me in vertical but loaded horizontal.

Default is no rotation which is normal orientation for desktop.

Are you talking about everything is rotated (i.e. menu bar, terminal) or just Rpints has the tap list going left to right?

I'm trying to get everything to display vertically so that I can have my screen vertically on my wall. I've tried reinstalling/reconfiguring a few ways choosing different screen orientations but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this something I need to change in the Raspbian settings?

I'm trying to get everything to display vertically so that I can have my screen vertically on my wall. I've tried reinstalling/reconfiguring a few ways choosing different screen orientations but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this something I need to change in the Raspbian settings?

Got it figured out. Changed the orientation in the Raspbian display settings. Very new to this, sorry for silly questions

Hopefully my last question before I'm rolling. Since I'm only displaying 4 taps I have a lot of dead space on the screen. Can someone help me find where I can increase the text sizes on the TapList?

the text sizes on the TapList?
you can change the sizes in the styles.css file (under the Rpints directory)
if you add font-size:yypx (where yy is the font size you want) you will change the font size
it will be helpful to familiarize yourself with the developer tools in the web browser, they allow you to select elements and see their display styles and modify them for that session (i.e. refresh and they are reverted)
for example to make the beer name 70px change

table .name{
text-align: left;
vertical-align: middle;
padding: 5px;

}
to
table .name{
text-align: left;
vertical-align: middle;
padding: 5px;
font-size:70px;
}

I feel a bit silly asking this, but can someone tell me what to expect when a pour is being made? I've installed Rpints with flow meters and I have a crappy old meter lying around that I was using for testing. Everything appears to be working, I get a measured pour top right once my test is complete, but I was under the impression that the pour would show what beer was being poured as it happens? It's OK if it doesn't, I just don't know what to expect from the software.
I was running the original rpints from the website (no flow) for about a year now, installed on a 3B so took me a good few days to backward load different software to get it working, but all was good. Now I have added an Uno, and installed the Randr+ version with flow meters. The display no longer works properly with my old 4:3 monitor, but I can fix that with a new widescreen job soon.
So, is it possible for someone to post a few pix of what I should see and experience? Maybe a youtube link.
Love your work peeps!

I get a measured pour top right once my test is complete, but I was under the impression that the pour would show what beer was being poured as it happens
the only indication a pour is actively being made is in /var/log/rpints.log (or on the admin log screen), it will not show on the main page until the pour is complete.

Once the pour is complete the amount remaining in the keg will decrease and if you have it configured to show last pour you will see it in the upper right corner (which it sounds like you are seeing that) and if you have the last pours displayed you will see it below the tap list
1598097213677.png

the log will say got an update, user id, tap number and pulses until the flow stops then it will say got a pour will the same info
1598097373814.png

the only indication a pour is actively being made is in /var/log/rpints.log (or on the admin log screen), it will not show on the main page until the pour is complete.

Once the pour is complete the amount remaining in the keg will decrease and if you have it configured to show last pour you will see it in the upper right corner (which it sounds like you are seeing that) and if you have the last pours displayed you will see it below the tap list
View attachment 694975

the log will say got an update, user id, tap number and pulses until the flow stops then it will say got a pour will the same info
View attachment 694976

not entirely related, but I’ve also got that Ferocious IPA on tap. It’s the bomb.

Excellent thanks RandR+, it appears that everything is working as expected then. Now all I have to sort out is a bit of styling (I noted that there was a 3rd style sheet in the rpints directory for a TV?) and some middle of the range flow-meters. I had toyed with the idea of the RFID to keep tabs on my buddies' alcohol intake, but with COVID lock down, that's no longer a priority.

Below is how I had my original set up. However, I can't seem to scale the current vers
rpints_1st_attempt.jpg
ion well enough for it to fit on that panel without scrolling. It's headless, so I'll look at another monitor I think. Which reminds me, if I turn off display pours, I lose the last pour as well (top right), is that how it is supposed to work? Wouldn't mind the last pour without the pour list, as that won't be visible without scrolling. I'll have a tinker...

And finally, to all you chaps who are taking their time to develop the code, respond to the multitude of questions, thanks. I flicked through dozens of pages, and the dedication and patience of all of you is amazing!

Cheers!

Does Cntrl-Minus not shrink the browser geometry?

Cheers!
It would, likely, but this is a headless unit. I really want it to boot and be just working. I remote in to update kegs, which is fine, but I don't want to do that every time I start it up. I'll grab a new monitor, that has better res than the old 17" 4:3 I currently have. :)

Again, thanks. Much appreciated.

No, I just committed the fix so now Last pour will show even if the pour list is not
That's awesome. I better finish my family responsibilities and then get this loaded.

I saw three style sheets in there, two can be accessed via the gui, not sure what the 3rd is. But there should be enough info in there for me to get something sorted.
style-aftv.css
style-high-res.css
style.css

Cheers!

Back