[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the info but honestly have no idea what you mean... software /coding is not my forte. What do you mean by 'fitted in these tap images' ?
Ok, so in the Randr+ version you can upload images in the tap section of the configuration page, but if they are too big they wont fit as they will be cut off. If you change the beerlistTable.php file as mentioned above it allows you to fit larger images.

Have a look at my ""hop images"" in my tap numbers section in this post here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...taplist-solution.487694/page-138#post-8779353

Ok, so in the Randr+ version you can upload images in the tap section of the configuration page, but if they are too big they wont fit as they will be cut off. If you change the beerlistTable.php file as mentioned above it allows you to fit larger images.

Have a look at my ""hop images"" in my tap numbers section in this post here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...taplist-solution.487694/page-138#post-8779353

Ok.. now I just feel plain stupid... I dont see where I can upload images in the tap section of the configuration page

Ok.. now I just feel plain stupid... I dont see where I can upload images in the tap section of the configuration page
Click on the green arrow
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 5.35.52 pm.png

That's what he's saying, yes. However I think it might be easier to get a new Uno as cheap as they are. That way you are eliminating the possibility that the (I forget what the chip is called that provides USB communucation) is bad.
So brought a new Uno, connected it up. Uploaded the sketch and poured a beer and Nothing...Zilch...Not a thing. What else could b wrong or what else can I check to find out whats going on? Here is the logifle which doesn't tell me anything really.

2020-03-06 17:37:01 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-03-06 17:37:06 RPINTS: No such device - Sleeping to try again
2020-03-06 17:37:11 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-03-06 17:37:13 RPINTS: Ino new than Hex. manual upload assumed
2020-03-06 17:37:13 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-03-06 17:37:13 RPINTS: starting device monitors...
2020-03-06 17:37:14 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-03-06 17:37:14 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-03-06 17:37:14 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-03-06 17:37:14 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-03-06 17:37:15 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running

EDIT:- So I connected up the 12V power supply to the Uno, rebooted and it now works.
2020-03-06 17:53:53 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
Pourpour on pin: 5, count: 59, conversion: 575, amount: 0.10260869565217, amountUnit: ml, user: N/A
Pourpour on pin: 4, count: 46, conversion: 575, amount: 0.08, amountUnit: ml, user: N/A
Pourpour on pin: 3, count: 53, conversion: 575, amount: 0.092173913043478, amountUnit: ml, user: N/A

however this is what I did last time and it worked for a day then stopped again.

Can I keep using this 12v power supply? I have a 9V but its only 450milli-amp.

Last edited:
How would I then change the tap list #'s or possibly use my own images in that column like I have seen many do?
in the admin tap list page, the first column is the tap number, you can type a custom entry in there and there is an upload button next to it that allows you to put a custom image on that tap

Hi guys, i'm currently using my website to host my menu board i made as a simple webpage. I have 2 plaato kegs now and can show my pours and amount left using html pin links...... I would love to use raspberrypints and show the volumes etc. I have no knowledge of linking the API files though. If anyone is willing to try i can gladly test it out ;)

Here is a link to my test page currently http://evildanebrewing.com/ONTAP/

Here is a link for the api pins https://plaato.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003235097-GET-value

Thanks for your time, Josh

I would love to use raspberrypints and show the volumes etc. I have no knowledge of linking the API files though
So you want to Rpints but instead of using flow meters use the PLAATO API to get the volume left in the keg?

My thought is to update the tap information and add in a plaato information link think instead of using Rpints internal information get the PLAATO information to use

Yes those are my exact thoughts, but i don't have the knowledge to change the information out and test. i do have access to the plaato info as it shows on my tap page in basic number values

It probably wont be too hard to do, a change to the index.php to use the PLAATO instead of a select

There are 3 problems with doing this quickly:
Auth_toke2 - seems easy enough to get but its per user.
API doesn't specify how to get different devices, I'm assuming your doing that, just not sure how
Data - each data point is its own get function, it would be nice to get all information at once. I see something about a webhook, but nothing about using it. Maybe there is a url that will post the information

If the UNO is connected to the RPi over USB and all you're using it for is powering and reading flow meters, I suspect a half-amp 9V will work. No harm in trying.

Cheers!

It probably wont be too hard to do, a change to the index.php to use the PLAATO instead of a select

There are 3 problems with doing this quickly:
Auth_toke2 - seems easy enough to get but its per user.
API doesn't specify how to get different devices, I'm assuming your doing that, just not sure how
Data - each data point is its own get function, it would be nice to get all information at once. I see something about a webhook, but nothing about using it. Maybe there is a url that will post the information

Each device has it's own token thats how i get results for each device, the webhook is currently only for their airlock. they are supposed to add webhooks for the kegs too but who knows when that will happen.

And now its stopped working again..So bloody frustrating.....Should I replace that chip?

Highly unlikely the Amtel chip went bad unless it was ruined by static discharge or heat.

What's under the electrical tape? Soldered wires? Wires twisted together by hand? If twisted together by hand, type of twist?

Whoo-hoo! Commented out that function declaration in beerListTableVerticle.php and it's working!!
Amazing that I can still find my way around in vi, given that I only use it about ever 8-10 years for a few minutes each time :rock:
require_once __DIR__.'/(name of the include); should prevent multiple, mistaken, loads

Highly unlikely the Amtel chip went bad unless it was ruined by static discharge or heat.

What's under the electrical tape? Soldered wires? Wires twisted together by hand? If twisted together by hand, type of twist?
The wires under the tape are the power, Gnd and signal wires from the Pi to the 1 -wire probe. The pull down resistor is in there too. They are soldered together.

The wires under the tape are the power, Gnd and signal wires from the Pi to the 1 -wire probe. The pull down resistor is in there too. They are soldered together.

Soldering is good. I was concerned the wires were hand twisted and were a cause of sporadic/intermittent connection. You've eliminated this possibility.

My 9V power supply for the Arduino was putting out around 10.3V but I assume this is okay. Its all working now finally so fingers crossed it still does in a few days.

I got motion detection working with rpints using a motion detector i have connected to my smartthings hub. I went this route since I already had an extra zwave motion detector and i can interface it with smartthings/rest of my home automation. I have not purchased flow meters yet.

Basically, you install Webhooks and XScreenSaver on the pi. Set up a .json file (tells pi to run .sh script when URL is run) and .sh script (telling XScreenSaver to deactivate and to play beer pour mp3 using mpg123) for Webhooks. Run the Webhooks server. That listens for URL. Then setup in smartthings a virtual button that runs URL when triggered. Then in Smartthings set so that when motion detected, virtual button is pressed. You then set up XScreenSaver to play video(s) using VLC (supposedly you can use mpv to play videos, but wasn’t working for me).

I have mine playing a set of videos of beer being poured and a head forming in a glass after a minute of no motion. Video stops on detection of motion right in front of tap list and plays an mp3 of a beer being poured.

If anyone is interested I can write a step by step procedure.

fun4stuff, I would really appreciate a step-by-step for this. I was an early (Kickstarter) adopter of Smartthings and just happen to have a ST motion detector right above my kegerator, controlling the garage lights. Ideally I'd like the screensaver to put the monitor into powersave mode rather than play videos, but I'll take whatever you're offering...

TIA!

fun4stuff, I would really appreciate a step-by-step for this. I was an early (Kickstarter) adopter of Smartthings and just happen to have a ST motion detector right above my kegerator, controlling the garage lights. Ideally I'd like the screensaver to put the monitor into powersave mode rather than play videos, but I'll take whatever you're offering...

TIA!
1. Basically, you install Webhooks and XScreenSaver on the pi.
I followed instructions here:
https://github.com/adnanh/webhook/blob/master/README.md

Code:
 apt-get install webhook
Code:
  apt-get install xscreensaver

2. Set up a .json file (tells pi to run .sh script when URL is run) and .sh script (telling XScreenSaver to deactivate and to play beer pour mp3 using mpg123 or cvlc) for Webhooks.

Code:
 sudo nano hooks.json
Code:
 [
  {

"id": "motion",
   "execute-command": "/home/pi/webhooks/motion.sh",
   "command-working-directory": "/home/pi/webhooks”
  }
]

Next create motion.sh, which is the script run when URL is accessed.

Code:
 sudo nano motion.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
Sudo xscreensaver-command -deactivate
cvlc --no-video-title-show /home/pi/Documents/beer.mp3

You could also adapt code from the following URL to put monitor into/out of powersave mode. I currently have it set up so monitor is on/off with my basement lights (via smartthings.
https://pastebin.com/jcEzLUB4

Code:
Off:
xset dpms force standby
vcgencmd display_power 0

On:
display_power 1

You then have to make motion.sh executable.
Code:
 chmod +x motion.sh

3. Run the Webhooks server. That listens for URL and runs the script if url accessed.

Code:
  /path/to/webhook -hooks hooks.json -verbose

You can run multiple json files too. EG:
webhook -hooks /home/pi/Webhooks/hooks.json -hooks monitoroff.json -hooks monitoron.json -verbose

You run the script by accessing the following URL:

Code:
http://localIPaddressOFpi:9000/hooks/motion

4. Then setup in smartthings a virtual button that runs URL when triggered. Then in Smartthings set so that when motion detected, virtual button is pressed.

Go to device handler section and create a new device handler from code. Paste code in from following web address and publish for yourself.

https://github.com/ruricu/SmartThings/blob/master/uributton.groovy

Then go to device section and create a new device. Fill in names in the sections that have asterisks. Then choose type from drop down and choose URIbutton (will probably be near bottom). Then save it.

Then go into smartthings app on your phone and find the device you just created. Click gears in top right to set up and fill in according to URL above:

Internal IP: localIPaddressOFpi
Internal port: 9000
Internal path: /hooks/motion

This creates a button device in smartthings. When it’s pushed or ran with an automation, the URL is run and webhooks server will run above script.

5. You then set up XScreenSaver to play video(s) using VLC (supposedly you can use mpv to play videos, but wasn’t working for me).

Code:
 sudo nano .xscreensaver
Add:
Code:
"Videos"    cvlc --loop --fullscreen --drawable-xid   \
             $XSCREENSAVER_WINDOW                    \
             --no-video-title-show                   \
             /path/to/videos.mp4

I think most of the above is correct. On vacation at the moment and my pi is off. So above is from memory.

You could probably have your motion.sh file turn on your monitor’s hdmi with code above. Then in smartthings setup an automation script that runs when there has been no motion after X minutes and have it run a webhooks URL that activates a script that turns the hdmi to Monitor off.

This was easier for me than adding a PIR motion to the pi since i already had an extra zwave motion detector, smartthings and all my lights and outlets in my house are zwave and automated with smartthings. Gives me more flexibility (e.g. turn on/off taplist monitor automatically when my basement lights are on/off, shut down my pi every night at 2 am and turn back on at 5 pm, etc).

Last edited:
Each device has it's own token thats how i get results for each device, the webhook is currently only for their airlock. they are supposed to add webhooks for the kegs too but who knows when that will happen.
Thanks,
I just added a plaato auth token field on the tap list of my branch. It will display if the Use Plaato Setting is set to On (either on the personalize page or under the settings button on the tap page) enter the device auth token you have for that tap and the display will overwrite the tap information with that from plaato. I belive its just sending Plaato an email requesting on with your user name

one thing I could add is last pour amount but since that isn't part of RPints main display I didnt
upload_2020-3-7_15-41-5.png

With Use Plaato set to off
upload_2020-3-7_15-42-23.png

With use plaato set to on
upload_2020-3-7_15-42-49.png

Thanks,
I just added a plaato auth token field on the tap list of my branch. It will display if the Use Plaato Setting is set to On (either on the personalize page or under the settings button on the tap page) enter the device auth token you have for that tap and the display will overwrite the tap information with that from plaato. I belive its just sending Plaato an email requesting on with your user name

one thing I could add is last pour amount but since that isn't part of RPints main display I didnt
View attachment 669856
With Use Plaato set to off
View attachment 669857

With use plaato set to on
View attachment 669858
Wow, Thanks so much I will try and test this out in the morning, do you have an install link to your branch?

Has there been any research into integrating the Plaato Keg into Raspberry Pints instead of flowmeters?

Hi, is there any way to put the taps side by side instead of a list?
Like this:
Tap 1. Tap 2
Tap3. Tap4
Tap5. Tap 6

How’s it working? I recently placed an order for the plaato keg monitors.
it worked great, i only had time to test it out a little. i was using an old pi so didn't bother setting it all up. i did get a pi 4 i'm going to set it up on ...... i'm also going to run craftbeerpi3 on with raspberrypints to control my whole brewery. when i'm not brewing i will us it to show the on tap menu. I'm currently working on getting craftbeerpi3 installed and running. then i will setup raspberrypints. in my test though it worked good on showing the keg level. maybe in the future pours can be added. Also the plaato kegs are working well for me and seem pretty accurate, I'm not having any of the ghost pours ppl are complaining about.

maybe in the future pours can be added
I could add in a last pour amount to RPints but that's only so so compared to having a history every pour

all I could see in the API was the last pour, which I could just say if it is different then register a pour, BUT there are 2 draw backs
1. if back to back pours have the same amount the second wouldn't be recorded in RPints
2. if 3 pours occur quickly then the middle one may not get recorded in RPints because it sees the first and last pour

If there was more API to get a history of pours, or at least a last pour id I could save them in Rpints

Hi, just got rpint up and running but I can't manage to show my beer labels. I always add my homebrew to untsppt with a label and when adding a beer in rpint I'm put in the right untappd number but still no image show? Any suggestions?
Cheers

Raspberry Pints is installed and working. one item I can't find, is how to remove the bottles from the display. Can anyone provide assistance?

Also, when I do a reboot, it goes straight to the tap list. Is there a way to have it boot up and require me to pull it up manually?

Also, when I open Chromium, I no longer show pages, is that correctable in settings somehow?

thanks for the assist.

Raspberry Pints is installed and working. one item I can't find, is how to remove the bottles from the display. Can anyone provide assistance?

Also, when I do a reboot, it goes straight to the tap list. Is there a way to have it boot up and require me to pull it up manually?

Also, when I open Chromium, I no longer show pages, is that correctable in settings somehow?

thanks for the assist.
You need to disable kiosk mode. Then you can pull I uo manually.

Other just have to click through settings to get things formatted the way you want it.

thanks for the assist.

Just press on bottles on the menu to the left and delete them.

Just press on bottles on the menu to the left and delete them.
I've tried that numerous times. it shows in kiosk mode, but when I click on bottles, nothing is there.

I've attached a couple of pics to show what I am experiencing.

Attachments

• RPints1.jpg
    RPints1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • RPints2.jpg
    RPints2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 142
Back