[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, the flow meters have stopped registering again a day after they worked. Any ideas from the log?
2020-02-28 20:44:16 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-02-28 20:44:20 RPINTS: Ino new than Hex. manual upload assumed
2020-02-28 20:44:22 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-28 20:44:24 RPINTS: starting device monitors...
2020-02-28 20:44:25 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-28 20:44:40 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-28 20:44:41 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-28 20:45:01 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-28 20:45:04 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-02-28 20:45:07 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan

Also guys I had an issue where the pi wouldn't boot and gave me an error
kernelPanic: VFS: can't mount root fs (179,2)
I had to reinstall everything but form what Ive read this means the SD card has failed. I have a class 10 card so any reason why this happened?

SD cards fail for a number of reasons. Being a class 10 or other class has nothing to do with the lifespan of the SD card.

Once up and running again I recommend making a backup of the SD card (search the posts as I posted instructions).

Or, find the "Clone microSD Card.txt" here http://github.com/Tobor-8thMan/RaspberryPints

I often pull the power chord too reboot. But this happened whilst it was still running. I couldn't log into the config screen so rebooted. I am using a decent PS I brought with the pi. But should I run the Arduino on a seperate power supply too?
Never ever ever ever ever pull the cord to reboot. Learn how to log in and shut it down correctly.

Here's another log file Any suggestions why the pours aren't working?

2020-02-29 10:28:21 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:0=0
2020-02-29 10:28:22 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:1=0
2020-02-29 10:28:22 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:2=0
2020-02-29 10:28:22 RPINTS: valve update: RPU:VALVE:3=0
2020-02-29 10:28:22 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-02-29 10:28:24 RPINTS: starting setup...
2020-02-29 10:28:56 RPINTS: Ino new than Hex. manual upload assumed
2020-02-29 10:28:58 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: starting device monitors...
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: resetting Arduino
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-02-29 10:29:00 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-02-29 10:29:01 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-29 10:29:01 RPINTS: waiting for Arduino to come alive
2020-02-29 10:29:07 RPINTS: Arduino alive...
2020-02-29 10:29:09 RPINTS: getting config data for Arduino
2020-02-29 10:29:09 RPINTS: Arduino config, about to send: C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:100:25:100:0:0:1|
2020-02-29 10:29:09 RPINTS: Waiting for Config Response
2020-02-29 10:29:09 RPINTS: Arduino says: alive

2020-02-29 10:29:09 RPINTS: listening to Arduino
2020-02-29 10:29:10 RPINTS: Arduino - Unknown message (length too short): C:4:3:4:5:6:0:300:100:25:100:0:0:1|
2020-02-29 10:29:10 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|
2020-02-29 10:32:12 RPINTS: Reset Tap during loop Pin 5 2
2020-02-29 10:32:12 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|
2020-02-29 10:34:54 RPINTS: Reset Tap during loop Pin 5 2
2020-02-29 10:34:54 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|
2020-02-29 10:35:28 RPINTS: Reset Tap during loop Pin 5 2
2020-02-29 10:35:28 RPINTS: Sending Status;NOTOK;-1;0;0;0;0;0;|
2020-02-29 11:10:21 RPINTS: alive
2020-02-29 11:10:21 RPINTS: Arduino was restarted, restart flowmonitor
2020-02-29 11:10:22 RPINTS: closing serial connection to Arduino...
2020-02-29 11:10:23 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-02-29 11:10:24 RPINTS: resetting Arduino
2020-02-29 11:10:27 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
2020-02-29 11:10:27 RPINTS: waiting for Arduino to come alive
2020-02-29 11:11:27 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-02-29 11:11:27 RPINTS: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
2020-02-29 11:11:28 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-02-29 11:11:29 RPINTS: resetting Arduino
2020-02-29 11:11:30 RPINTS: waiting for Arduino to come alive
2020-02-29 11:14:50 RPINTS: reconfigure trigger: all
2020-02-29 11:14:50 RPINTS: resetting alamode config from db
2020-02-29 11:15:00 RPINTS: reconfigure trigger: all
2020-02-29 11:15:00 RPINTS: resetting alamode config from db

Well got it working finally, plugged a power supply into the Arduino and now the pours are working. Strange because it worked fine for the last month or so with just the Pis power supply.

Will this power supply be okay to keep using? Ive read that if you supply 12V the voltage reg will get hot? I do have a 9V but its only 250ma.

IMG_5546.JPG

Put your finger on the larger 3 terminal LDO regulator near the barrel power connector and see if it's toasty.
Yes, 9V is optimal, as 7.5V is too low, and 12V just increases the thermal dissipation of the LDO...

Cheers!

Put your finger on the larger 3 terminal LDO regulator near the barrel power connector and see if it's toasty.
Yes, 9V is optimal, as 7.5V is too low, and 12V just increases the thermal dissipation of the LDO...

Cheers!
Its only slightly warm. The CPU on the PI is much hotter.

Many thanks to everyone who has put so much work into this project over the years, and continue to support it - it's really amazing!

I'm about to take a crack at RPints, a new build from scratch with a new RPi 3B+, NOOBS, and loading RPints as per the instruction in post #5525 of this thread. Hopefully that sounds right so far...

I have 6 taps, but only bought 1 cheap flow sensor so far, thinking I should test it out first before deciding whether to commit to 5 more or have to break the bank on the more expensive option. So I'm thinking I should definitely do the initial install specifying that I'm using flow meters - but then the question is whether I should initially configure 6 taps, or start with only 1 and only add the others as I acquire the additional flow sensors? I've read a huge number of posts from this thread but don't recall seeing any that covered either adding taps or any problems that might arise from having only a subset of your taps on meters - and am just looking to avoid any avoidable pitfalls or rework steps...

TIA!

Richard

Many thanks to everyone who has put so much work into this project over the years, and continue to support it - it's really amazing!

I'm about to take a crack at RPints, a new build from scratch with a new RPi 3B+, NOOBS, and loading RPints as per the instruction in post #5525 of this thread. Hopefully that sounds right so far...

I have 6 taps, but only bought 1 cheap flow sensor so far, thinking I should test it out first before deciding whether to commit to 5 more or have to break the bank on the more expensive option. So I'm thinking I should definitely do the initial install specifying that I'm using flow meters - but then the question is whether I should initially configure 6 taps, or start with only 1 and only add the others as I acquire the additional flow sensors? I've read a huge number of posts from this thread but don't recall seeing any that covered either adding taps or any problems that might arise from having only a subset of your taps on meters - and am just looking to avoid any avoidable pitfalls or rework steps...

TIA!

Richard
Welcome, I'd go ahead and load the sample data and configure it for 6 taps. You don't need flow sensors to display information on each tap and it doesn't affect anything. You also need flow meter support if you want to add temp sensor. I've done some research on the newer versions of the cheap flow meters and they seem to work well. If the one you bought has specs of .5-3 L it will work fine. Look at my post #5484 Not quite as accurate as the $80 meters, but good enough for my purposes and $10. The sample data helps to set it up and then you just add your actual info and delete the sample data. I would also recommend not setting it up in kiosk mode. You get exactly the same look by making chromium full screen and you can easily swap between the pi home page and RPints.

Trying to edit Style.css file to accommodate a square image for tap number (I dont know if this is even right) and I cannot chmod file permissions to write. What am I missing or better yet, how have some of you gone about making changes to RaspberryPints? Thanks!

A Zero W has equivalent performance to a Model B - which is what we were all running with the original Raspberry Pints 2.0.1 flow meter release.
Sans flow meters they work just fine - there's not much to display a static set of data after all.
With flow meters one the console may take a second or two to repaint the screen after a pour (vs a 2B or newer that update in a blink) but honestly it's a minor nit.

As for how to install: Thanks to Lee B it's pretty simple:

curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

The installer will prompt for which version (Tobor_8thman or RandR+) you wish to install...

Cheers!

So far so good... I got a pi 3B+ and successfully installed RandR+ version.
Just have a quick question... how do you change the Beer image? (see below - in Bottles).... THANKS!!!
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2158.JPG

Welcome, I'd go ahead and load the sample data and configure it for 6 taps. You don't need flow sensors to display information on each tap and it doesn't affect anything. You also need flow meter support if you want to add temp sensor. I've done some research on the newer versions of the cheap flow meters and they seem to work well. If the one you bought has specs of .5-3 L it will work fine. Look at my post #5484 Not quite as accurate as the $80 meters, but good enough for my purposes and $10. The sample data helps to set it up and then you just add your actual info and delete the sample data. I would also recommend not setting it up in kiosk mode. You get exactly the same look by making chromium full screen and you can easily swap between the pi home page and RPints.

Thanks Ricand! The meter I ordered was one like you described, and that decision was based on your post and the other posts within this thread. I'm not looking for ultimate accuracy - using the paper charts I've stuck on my kegerator my kegs usually kick about 2 litres earlier than my tracking indicates and my wife's about 5-6 litres early, so if I can get it within a couple pours per keg that'll be a vast improvement! And those paper charts are a bit of a pain and not very tidy.

The 3B+ is up and running, working fine with my junkpile Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless keyboard - that really surprised me, as it's gotta be at least 12 years old! The Uno board and meter should arrive the day after tomorrow, so I'll wait until then to install RPints. I have a ton of work to catch up on tonight/tomorrow anyhow, thanks to discovering this thread on Friday morning :)

I was glad to discover the RPints data is stored in MySQL, and I'm looking forward to integrating that into my forecasting/planning tool. Last summer I had actually started to create a similar tracking database on a local Oracle instance because continually updating the spreadsheet was a PITA (it's a single sheet that does double-duty tracking and predicting consumption). But I found maintaining that database manually without a UI was way too onerous - especially when I'd have to go back and revise consumption because of our bogus paper record-keeping. So it will be fun to finally have data acquisition and be able to focus on automating the forecasting.

Cheers!

Another noob question that I don't recall anyone addressing previously, maybe because it's a ridiculous one:

Back Story:
I have a standup kegerator where the kegs are in the bottom and the top "freezer" section doesn't freeze (it stays more or less the same temp as the keg section). My taps are on the front of the door, and I plan to mount the 19" RPints monitor on the upper door (above the taps). As far as equipment placement goes, the most tidy solution would be to put the RPi inside the freezer section.

But would I be correct in thinking this is a bad idea for one or more of the following reasons?:
  • humidity
  • compromising the WiFi connectivity
  • compromising the bluetooth connectivity (keyboard/mouse)
  • something else I'm not thinking of?
I'm thinking the humidity is the big issue. The kegerator is really close to our WiFi hotspot and the SmartThings ZWave sensor inside the kegerator has always worked fine. Temperature-wise, it never gets to freezing and I'm less concerned about the RPi operating at that temp than in the high summer temps outside which could reach occasionally reach into the mid-30s (Celsius) if the wife pulled a hot car into the warm garage on a hot day.

In terms of having a 110VAC power source inside the kegerator for the RPi and Uno, I'm already planning to run a 110VAC line into it anyhow for the heat source that is occasionally required in the winter. <Insert eye rolls here...> My kegerator is in our attached garage and we get at least 1 or 2 weeks per year where it gets so cold for so long that I have to stick a small heat source inside the kegerator to keep it from getting too cold. SmartThings currently takes care of the temp control for that, although I'm also toying with using an Inkbird ITC-1000F instead so it isn't reliant on cloud connectivity. Anyhow, once I've done that, putting the RPi inside would mean that the only additional hole I need is the one in the upper door for the monitor power and HDMI cables. If I mount the RPi externally I'll still need a hole for the flow sensor cables, and then have lots of external power cables to deal with.

Thanks Ricand! The meter I ordered was one like you described, and that decision was based on your post and the other posts within this thread. I'm not looking for ultimate accuracy - using the paper charts I've stuck on my kegerator my kegs usually kick about 2 litres earlier than my tracking indicates and my wife's about 5-6 litres early, so if I can get it within a couple pours per keg that'll be a vast improvement! And those paper charts are a bit of a pain and not very tidy.

The 3B+ is up and running, working fine with my junkpile Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless keyboard - that really surprised me, as it's gotta be at least 12 years old! The Uno board and meter should arrive the day after tomorrow, so I'll wait until then to install RPints. I have a ton of work to catch up on tonight/tomorrow anyhow, thanks to discovering this thread on Friday morning :)

I was glad to discover the RPints data is stored in MySQL, and I'm looking forward to integrating that into my forecasting/planning tool. Last summer I had actually started to create a similar tracking database on a local Oracle instance because continually updating the spreadsheet was a PITA (it's a single sheet that does double-duty tracking and predicting consumption). But I found maintaining that database manually without a UI was way too onerous - especially when I'd have to go back and revise consumption because of our bogus paper record-keeping. So it will be fun to finally have data acquisition and be able to focus on automating the forecasting.

Cheers!
You won't be disappointed in the meter. I got a couple more meters with similar results.

I don't know which version you are planning to install. If you use the RandR+ version it takes advantage of MySQL. He has analytics on the management portal that give you pour history, beer statistics, drinker statistics (requires a $15 hardware investment for RFID reader), tap statistics and tap history all with nice histograms. I've implemented all but the RFID card for drinker statistics. I'm thinking about adding it because I want to know which one of my friends is drinking all my beer. It couldn't possibly be me, well maybe it could. Maybe I don't want to know.

Cheers mate will do, thanks.
Why not save a lot of hassle and buy a cheap ssd and a usb to sata adapter ? That will remove the hassle of failing SD-cards once an for all. How to set this up can be found here for Raspberry 2B v1.2, 3A+, 3B, and 3B+, and here for the Rasperry Pi 4, even on the 4 you need a sdcard AND an ssd for the time beeing. I'm running this way on a Pi 3 myself after beeing sick and tired of having sd-cards die on me...

peram

Why not save a lot of hassle and buy a cheap ssd and a usb to sata adapter ? That will remove the hassle of failing SD-cards once an for all. How to set this up can be found here for Raspberry 2B v1.2, 3A+, 3B, and 3B+, and here for the Rasperry Pi 4, even on the 4 you need a sdcard AND an ssd for the time beeing. I'm running this way on a Pi 3 myself after beeing sick and tired of having sd-cards die on me...

peram
Cheers mate, sounds like the way to go; Thanks.

Cheers mate, sounds like the way to go; Thanks.
Good to hear. One way of shutting down the PI safely without logging into the box is described here if you're interested. Havent tested this my self, but that site also has comments discussing how to do a safe reboot, and not just a safe shutdown... Again .. Havent tested this my self, so YMMV :)

peram

Trying to edit Style.css file to accommodate a square image for tap number (I dont know if this is even right) and I cannot chmod file permissions to write. What am I missing or better yet, how have some of you gone about making changes to RaspberryPints? Thanks!
Try this /var/www/html/includes/beerListTable.php line 126, width is hardcoded to 50px for images. I changed mine to height 100px and width 70px and fitted in these tap images.

And I dont know much about all of this but this worked for me to change write permissions

sudo chmod +777 /var/www/html -R

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 6.17.25 pm.png

Good to hear. One way of shutting down the PI safely without logging into the box is described here if you're interested. Havent tested this my self, but that site also has comments discussing how to do a safe reboot, and not just a safe shutdown... Again .. Havent tested this my self, so YMMV :)

peram
Thanks again this info is awesome..

My flow meters have stopped again with the following error.
2020-03-02 18:03:27 RPINTS: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyACM0: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyACM0'
2020-03-02 18:03:28 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-02 18:03:28 RPINTS: resetting Arduino
2020-03-02 18:03:29 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...

I tried stopping the flow meters uploading the .INO file to sketch but then got an error saying serial port /dev/ttyACM0 not found. Any ideas why this is happening?

2020-03-02 18:03:27 RPINTS: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyACM0: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyACM0'

I tried stopping the flow meters uploading the .INO file to sketch but then got an error saying serial port /dev/ttyACM0 not found. Any ideas why this is happening?
Which version are you using? I'm having to restart the flowmon services pretty often. Flowmon is stopping randomly for me. It resolves if I go to the management portal and restart flowmon services. It doesn't stay restarted too long.

Try this /var/www/html/includes/beerListTable.php line 126, width is hardcoded to 50px for images. I changed mine to height 100px and width 70px and fitted in these tap images.

And I dont know much about all of this but this worked for me to change write permissions

View attachment 669054
Oh man, I'm so jealous you can have Bells Two Hearted on tap. One of my favorite beers I can't get here in NorCal.

A second reboot fixed it but why do I keep having to reboot the pi everyday to get it to work again?

Which version are you using? I'm having to restart the flowmon services pretty often. Flowmon is stopping randomly for me. It resolves if I go to the management portal and restart flowmon services. It doesn't stay restarted too long.
Im using RandR+ version.

Hey guys, Any idea what this error means and why I have to keep re-starting my Pi to get it to work only to have it stop a day later?

Switched to the back up sd card as this one was running very slow and I suspect its faulty. Seems to be better bu still ant get it to work. I stooped the flowmon uploaded the sketch and started flown again and now the log shows this but it still doesn't work
2020-03-03 20:07:13 RPINTS: Could not import RFID Reader, RFID disabled. Assuming SPI not installed/configured
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: Ino new than Hex. manual upload assumed
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: starting WS server
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: starting device monitors...
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: starting command server
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: starting fan control
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: Fan Control fanControl1 is Running
2020-03-03 20:07:15 RPINTS: Not Configured to run Fan
2020-03-03 20:07:16 RPINTS: 1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running

And then
('Unexpected error:', <class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 269, in monitor
msg = self.readline_notimeout()
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 74, in readline_notimeout
c = self.arduino.read(1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 501, in read
'device reports readiness to read but returned no data '
SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:11 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:12 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:14 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...
2020-03-03 20:27:15 RPINTS: flowmonitor aborted, restarting...
2020-03-03 20:27:16 RPINTS: serial connection stopped...

View attachment 669054
That was it! I'm a Substation Electrian, I got a handle on hardware side stuff, but all the software code side is new. Thanks!
20200302_214230.jpg

Thanks to the wisdom and support from y'all here, I have everything installed and beers/kegs/taps configured, and my first flow sensor reading!! (but not yet calibrated - hopefully tonight...)

Anyone know how to connect to the MySql database from another computer via tools like MySQL Workbench or ODBC? I've been working with databases for 30 years (and MySql for a few) so generally know my way around databases well but have generally avoided Unix/Linux as much as possible (not on purpose, just always had admins and infrastructure guys to deal with that...) I tried the usual standards for port settings and whatnot, but no luck - am wondering if they are set to non-default or there is something security-wise that is blocking connections from other IPs? I have found my way in to the database via the phpmyadmin ui, but I really want to be able to connect to the database via remote tools that I'm more familiar with and are more full-featured.

TIA!

Richard

As phpmyadmin executed on the host and accessed remotely works, is it true that your tools can't be loaded on the same RPi and have to somehow suck the database in over the wire to do anything with it? If that's the case, isn't it a simple matter of setting the database files access rights to allow your remote client to fetch them?

Cheers!

How did you even get that image to display? If you select it and right click and choose Inspect element it will show you where it comes from.
I dunno.. just did without any action on my part...

Let me rephrase my question... how do I display my own images for each tap or bottled beer? Thanks.

As phpmyadmin executed on the host and accessed remotely works, is it true that your tools can't be loaded on the same RPi and have to somehow suck the database in over the wire to do anything with it? If that's the case, isn't it a simple matter of setting the database files access rights to allow your remote client to fetch them?

Cheers!

A typical MySQL database instance will accept connections on port 3306 and communicate over that port using the MySQL protocol. My default assumption is that rpints and phpmyadmin would be using that to connect to the database, and if I go into the database using phpmyadmin and check the settings it is showing port 3306. But if I try to connect to that port from any other machine (using either the machine name or ip address) it says it can't connect. Yet I can ping the machine and I can connect to it via port 80 (via browser to rpints or phpmyadmin). And even phpmyadmin indicates it is using port 3306 to connect to the database. So it seems like there's something about the machine config that's only allowing processes on the same machine to connect via port 3306, and blocking connections via that port from other IP addresses...

A typical MySQL database instance will accept connections on port 3306 and communicate over that port using the MySQL protocol. My default assumption is that rpints and phpmyadmin would be using that to connect to the database, and if I go into the database using phpmyadmin and check the settings it is showing port 3306. But if I try to connect to that port from any other machine (using either the machine name or ip address) it says it can't connect. Yet I can ping the machine and I can connect to it via port 80 (via browser to rpints or phpmyadmin). And even phpmyadmin indicates it is using port 3306 to connect to the database. So it seems like there's something about the machine config that's only allowing processes on the same machine to connect via port 3306, and blocking connections via that port from other IP addresses...

I eventually found this article https://howtoraspberrypi.com/enable-mysql-remote-connection-raspberry-pi/ which describes how by default MySQL is configured to not allow external connections. I had to dig a bit deeper than this article stated (the bind setting limiting connections to only localhost (127.0.0.1) was in /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server-cnf) but commenting that out and rebooting did the trick!

Back