[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% RPi noob...

Just installed and received this error:

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in /var/www/html/RaspberryPints-2.0.1/install/includes/configprocessor.php:52 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /var/www/html/RaspberryPints-2.0.1/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52

Running Raspian Buster on RPi 3 B. Thanks.

Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in /var/www/html/RaspberryPints-2.0.1/install/includes/configprocessor.php:52
The original version doesn't work after Jessie, you need to use either mine or Tobors

an easy way to install is to run the following from the terminal (it will prompt what version you want to install)
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash

The original version doesn't work after Jessie, you need to use either mine or Tobors

an easy way to install is to run the following from the terminal (it will prompt what version you want to install)
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash
Gotcha. Gave that a go and locked it up with a:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Should delete everything a do a fresh install?

Gotcha. Gave that a go and locked it up with a:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Should delete everything a do a fresh install?
I would reformat the sd card and start again. I installed the RANDR+ version using this (Which I assume is the same as above) and had no issues at all.

curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rtlindne/RaspberryPints/master/util/installRaspberryPints | sudo bash

Is ebay still the best place to find discounted Swiss Flow meters? Any idea how often they are posted? Didn’t see any on eBay at the moment.

Is ebay still the best place to find discounted Swiss Flow meters? Any idea how often they are posted? Didn’t see any on eBay at the moment.
There doesn't seem to be any less expensive SwissFlow meters out there. Check out my post on some cheaper meters ($10) that seem to have upped the pulse count per gallon. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...taplist-solution.487694/page-138#post-8776698

I'm still waiting for the cheap Chinese meters to show up to test them to confirm. Depends on your requirements, but these seem to be getting +-4oz pours over a gallon. I think it is good enough for most of us. I have 5 of the SwissFlow meters that I'm comparing them to.

fwiw, the eBay SF800 sale was a one-time thing, at least in the numbers we saw back in the first days of 2.0.1.
The seller had ~180 meters and it only took a couple of weeks for us to take that down to zero.

I second @Ricand's thoughts on the YF-S401 meter, it has remarkable performance for the money. Plus it appears to have connections that are reasonably compatible with beer line, where many inexpensive Hall Effect flow meters have big clunky threaded ports and others have narrow through-passages. If you can actually find them...

Cheers!

Hey guys any reason why my temperature gauge keeps showing 38C higher than it should be reading, It then switches back to the correct temperature every now and again so its very intermittent.

These sensors need a command to tell it to generate a reading, followed by another command to return that generated value.

If you are seeing "85°C" readings (or for us Fahrenheits, 185°F), suspect power issues. That is the reading the sensor will return if it wasn't ready to return an actual temperature conversion, and that is what generally happens on the first read after the sensor goes through its internal power-on-initialization sequence...

Cheers!

Thanks to LBussy!! I used his script to install rpints on a new RaspberryPi Zero W. Now I just need to figure out how to get the screen formatted properly for my 8 taps and mount it on the wall in the brewery.

I installed NOOBs and then ran
curl -L rpints-tobor.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash

I am in IT but very new to the Linux and RasperryPi world so it's been a great learning experience.

Thanks to LBussy!! I used his script to install rpints on a new RaspberryPi Zero W. Now I just need to figure out how to get the screen formatted properly for my 8 taps and mount it on the wall in the brewery.

I installed NOOBs and then ran
curl -L rpints-tobor.brewpiremix.com | sudo bash

I am in IT but very new to the Linux and RasperryPi world so it's been a great learning experience.

Dude I feel your pain on 8 taps. Check out what RandR+ did to help me get 8 taps on one screen. I modified it to get the temp and last pour too.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...taplist-solution.487694/page-138#post-8776711
I have 4 extra temp probes and pull up resistors. If 4 people need one, send me your snail mail address and I'll send them. I'd also be happy to send the files he custom made for me to make it work. I'm trying to give back to this thread and everyone who helped me.

These sensors need a command to tell it to generate a reading, followed by another command to return that generated value.

If you are seeing "85°C" readings (or for us Fahrenheits, 185°F), suspect power issues. That is the reading the sensor will return if it wasn't ready to return an actual temperature conversion, and that is what generally happens on the first read after the sensor goes through its internal power-on-initialization sequence...

Cheers!
Im not seeing 80C its just always reading 40.8C. When I reboot it goes back to 1.7C but then eventually changes again. Is there a way to check for power issues? It worked fine at first. Im powering the Uno through the Pi but the temp probe connects direct to the Pi. It does use the negative back to the Uno though as thats what the flow meters use so was easier to wire them all together.

Last edited:
Unlike the 85°C/185°F paradigm - which is how the chip works - there's nothing in the chip specs that correlates to other erroneous readings like "40.8°C". Do you really get that reading persistently?

One thing about single-ended digital communications: the signal reference is much more critical than the supply voltage. For these temperature probes, that reference would be ground. If you have the typical 18" USB cable and you have the ds18b20 signal and power leads connected to the RPi but its ground is connected to the Uno, that's going to incur noise at possibly significant levels. It's a form of ground loop, and ground loops are never good things. Don't do that...

Cheers!

One thing about single-ended digital communications: the signal reference is much more critical than the supply voltage. For these temperature probes, that reference would be ground. If you have the typical 18" USB cable and you have the ds18b20 signal and power leads connected to the RPi but its ground is connected to the Uno, that's going to incur noise at possibly significant levels. It's a form of ground loop, and ground loops are never good things. Don't do that...

Cheers!

Thanks for the earlier lesson at Post #5359 about powering the Uno!

Thanks for the earlier lesson at Post #5359 about powering the Uno!
Yeah, I said that I thought it was fine to power the Uno with the USB, while simultaneously complaining I was getting weird double pours reported on my taps. Guess what solved that problem? At least for our application, the Uno needs the external power supply.

Unlike the 85°C/185°F paradigm - which is how the chip works - there's nothing in the chip specs that correlates to other erroneous readings like "40.8°C". Do you really get that reading persistently?

Cheers!
Yes I get 40.8C persistently. It just went back to that reading again after a reboot. Im using Cat 5 cable and do have 1 spare wire for a 4th flow meter I didnt hook up as I only have 3 taps. Ill trying grounding to that and see how it goes. Thanks mate.

Yeah, I said that I thought it was fine to power the Uno with the USB, while simultaneously complaining I was getting weird double pours reported on my taps. Guess what solved that problem? At least for our application, the Uno needs the external power supply.

Did I miss that revelation earlier? :D
To my knowledge the split-pour thing had never been reported prior, but as much as I advocate not using USB power for an Uno even I'm surprised a better power solution resolved that...

Cheers!

Yes I get 40.8C persistently. It just went back to that reading again after a reboot. Im using Cat 5 cable and do have 1 spare wire for a 4th flow meter I didnt hook up as I only have 3 taps. Ill trying grounding to that and see how it goes. Thanks mate.

As this evening seems full of surprises, if your wiring correction doesn't make that 40.8°C thing resolve, get yourself a 9V 1A wall wart with the 5.5 x 2.1mm plug and try that :)

Cheers!

To my knowledge the split-pour thing had never been reported prior, but as much as I advocate not using USB power for an Uno even I'm surprised a better power solution resolved that...

Cheers!

Funny that you mentioned this...
IMG_1639.JPG

I’ve had split pours on the 14th, 13th, and 7th.

I use the Digiten Meters with a count of 6750 p/G

Hmm....now i need to pull taps and do some research.

As this evening seems full of surprises, if your wiring correction doesn't make that 40.8°C thing resolve, get yourself a 9V 1A wall wart with the 5.5 x 2.1mm plug and try that :)

Cheers!
So far so good, it seems to be working properly now. Showing correct temp and I have had it running for a good 30 mins now. Cheers again.

Did I miss that revelation earlier? :D

Cheers!
You aren't wrong. When I saw your power post I bought an Uno power supply. It wasn't a big thing for me, since RandR+ said it would all get decremented from my kegs anyway. I then looked at my logs tonight since I started using the power supply and no more split pours. Just found out myself, so hence my post.

Is there any documentation or posts around setting up and testing the motion detector in the RandR+ version? Trying to get the PIR to trigger the blank screen to turn back on, but I am not sure where things get installed or how to go about troubleshooting things. I have only set it up in the "Motion Detectors" admin screen to use pin 26. I just need pointed in the right direction to troubleshoot things. (Also, where is the time setting for how long until the screen goes blank.)

Last edited:
Is there any documentation or posts around setting up and testing the motion detector in the RandR+ version? Trying to get the PIR to trigger the blank screen to turn back on, but I am not sure where things get installed or how to go about troubleshooting things. I have only set it up in the "Motion Detectors" admin screen to use pin 26. I just pointed in the right direction to troubleshoot things. (Also, where is the time setting for how long until the screen goes blank.)

You set up the screen saver in the preference tab on the linux home screen. So go to preferences > screensaver > xscreensaver. Mine worked immediately. You did install xscreensaver, right?

The PIR just does not seem to trigger anything.
Check /var/log/rpints.log for "Motion Detector" (without ") If it is running you should at least see "Motion Detector ... is Running"

When it gets the PIR it will say "Motion Detector ... Detected Motion"

@Ricand was kind enough to send me his config files.

Just starting to get things set up now. Monitor comes today.

I only have 7 taps and will most likely be displaying it in landscape.

I have an issue where it displays the taps in 2 columns 1 through 7 with “4” after the 7. I’d like that last spot to be blank or perhaps “on deck” (what’s being fermented), but not “8” or “4”. How would i go about doing this?

Also, how do i Get rid of the horizontal tap numbers along the bottom of the screen (they aren’t going to line up exactly with my tap handles).

Also, curious how to put pics in with the description or insert an actual pic of the beer poured in a glass.

thanks all for the help!

Here is a screenshot of the tap list from my phone showing the 1-7,4 issue and of my tap settings:
https://imgur.com/gallery/W0GHCeF

@Ricand was kind enough to send me his config files.

Just starting to get things set up now. Monitor comes today.

I only have 7 taps and will most likely be displaying it in landscape.

I have an issue where it displays the taps in 2 columns 1 through 7 with “4” after the 7. I’d like that last spot to be blank or perhaps “on deck” (what’s being fermented), but not “8” or “4”. How would i go about doing this?

Also, how do i Get rid of the horizontal tap numbers along the bottom of the screen (they aren’t going to line up exactly with my tap handles).

Also, curious how to put pics in with the description or insert an actual pic of the beer poured in a glass.

thanks all for the help!

Here is a screenshot of the tap list from my phone showing the 1-7,4 issue and of my tap settings:
https://imgur.com/gallery/W0GHCeF
You can edit out the tap numbers I put in at the bottom of Index.php. You will see where I set up a table with them. Just put a # in front of lines 256-265. Yours looks a bit wonky, did you happen to select vertical in the config screen? If not, then set up 8 taps with the last one being blank. You can delete everything and set up a blank brewery and 0 srm on the beer. It will just be a place holder and not show up anything. You can set up a brewery with any graphic you like. Then it will show that picture next to the description. Look at mine again where there is an empty glass for empty taps. You will have the temp probe tomorrow.

You can edit out the tap numbers I put in at the bottom of Index.php. You will see where I set up a table with them. Just put a # in front of lines 256-265. Yours looks a bit wonky, did you happen to select vertical in the config screen? If not, then set up 8 taps with the last one being blank. You can delete everything and set up a blank brewery and 0 srm on the beer. It will just be a place holder and not show up anything. You can set up a brewery with any graphic you like. Then it will show that picture next to the description. Look at mine again where there is an empty glass for empty taps. You will have the temp probe tomorrow.

awesome, thanks again! Yeah, i noticed look wonky. I’m going through settings now.

edit:
I did not select vertical (set as show tap list horizontal). I got it looking better but still can’t get rid of the #4 that’s in the #8 position. I’d like to have it completely empty/blank since i only have 7 taps.

Last edited:
First off thanks to all for an awesome collaboration on a cool project that you guys have put your blood sweat and tears in for free!!! I was wondering if someone can help me troubleshoot an issue I am having with RandR+'s fork. My setup is an Arduino Uno Bluetooth to an RPI 3B+ running RPINTs. Additionally, I have two taps running with SF800 meters. Each of the meters running from Tap 1 and 2 are connected to pins 9 and 10 respectively on the Uno. I have run into a situation where Tap 1 works perfectly with no issues, however, tap 2 always randomly sends lots of random pour amounts and then kicks the keg. I have tried to move Tap 2 to pin 11 on the uno and get the same result. Does anyone have any recommendations on this or any other troubleshooting steps as I haven't had any issues on Tap 1. I have attached the log for easier troubleshooting. Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• rpints.txt
    176.3 KB · Views: 12
awesome, thanks again! Yeah, i noticed look wonky. I’m going through settings now.

edit:
I did not select vertical (set as show tap list horizontal). I got it looking better but still can’t get rid of the #4 that’s in the #8 position. I’d like to have it completely empty/blank since i only have 7 taps.
Did you try setting up 8 taps and see if it numbers properly? If so, you can set up a 'blank' tap in that position.

Back