[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that looks like a busted SD card.
I'd try reseating the SD card, but my guess is it's toast...

Cheers!

This is what my SD card looks like from my windows PC. Is there anything salvageable here? Or am I starting from scratch?

20150513_022321.jpg

So I'm frustrated. I can't get RPints to stay stable for more than a day or two. It has had a slew of issues, sometimes freezing but often times I'll come downstairs and turn on the monitor but it won't display anything despite the Pi being on. There's no way to get it back on, and killing power to reboot the Pi doesn't fix it. I have to pull power for a few hours and then it seems to boot up OK. I thought maybe it had something to do with overloading the Pi compiling all kinds of information while polling the sensors, or maybe from the temperature sensor mod that day_trippr came up with, so I set a crontab to reboot every night - sometimes I'd come back and find the Pi off, but it'd boot up fine, as though it didn't reboot, it just shut off.

Anyways, it's become all too unreliable now. If I go to grab a beer, it won't pull the volume because the Pi is off, so knowing how much is left is a guessing game. Is there something I should be looking for, or is this a "sorry bub, go and flash the whole thing and start from scratch" type scenario?

-Kevin

I had this problem with version 1. I finally figured out it was a power issue. You might want to try a different usb power supply. I haven't had an issue since I changed it.

If you didn't make a backup image of your card before things went pear shaped, you're starting from scratch...

Bummer. Do I need to take apart all of my wiring, disconnect the alamode, etc and start as if I were going at it for the first time? Or can I leave everything assembled?

You can leave everything connected. The AlaMode will still have its script loaded so you don't need to reload that, but that's the only good part. Everything else from the OS on up needs to be installed to a wiped card...

Cheers!

I had this problem with version 1. I finally figured out it was a power issue. You might want to try a different usb power supply. I haven't had an issue since I changed it.

Was this a response to my issue? I thought I had a pretty decent power supply, but who knows. Any recommendations on a quality one to get?

-Kevin

Was this a response to my issue? I thought I had a pretty decent power supply, but who knows. Any recommendations on a quality one to get?

-Kevin

I have experienced some power related issues that came down to the USB cable wire being too thin to supply the current needed. Most of the phone chargers put out at least 1 amp, which should be enough to power the Pi.

2amp is what I'm running my pi2 on and I have seen power issues when I try to use all the USB ports. And yes I do have the config set to use higher current on the USB ports. Hell just about every major problem I've faced along the way has either been shotty usb cables or bad power supplies.

It's been months since I programmed my Pi and Alamode and I'm ready to make another attempt at getting my flow meters working. Is there any way to know which pins I programmed the Alamode for? I did take notes but somehow can't find them.

It's been months since I programmed my Pi and Alamode and I'm ready to make another attempt at getting my flow meters working. Is there any way to know which pins I programmed the Alamode for? I did take notes but somehow can't find them.

I jsut go back into the sketch and look it up. Just look where you would set it up. You dont have to save or re-write it to the alamode. quick work.

To make things even easier the terminal windows remember the last so many commands you typed so you can hit the up key and cycle through them from most recent to longest ago. Saves typing

Hello everyone, we are so sorry about the website issues. We have been working on trying to get the server back up but in the end I had to move us to a new host. We are now up and running, it may take another 24 hours for the DNS to propagate but most of you should start seeing it soon.

Thank all of you for your patience! to show our gratitude, we are offering $5 off the RaspberryPints software from now until Sunday ;) LOL. All jokes aside, thank you thank you thank you all for your support!!

I'm also getting the same "Future home of something cool" page but when I pull up Raspberry Pints on the Raspberry Pi itself I'm able to access the site. I flushed my DNS and am now about to clear my cache in Chrome to give it a try.

Ended up clearing my browser history for the last couple of weeks and cache in Chrome...Now I'm able to access the site.

Another quick question, I'm using the adafruit flow meters and am having trouble getting them to read pours (lots of foam) but when I test by blowing through the meter they work. Does anyone know if there's a calibration sketch I can run in Arduino? Apologies in advance if this was already discussed earlier in the thread, I've skimmed through the 100+ pages but was unable to find anything.

Ended up clearing my browser history for the last couple of weeks and cache in Chrome...Now I'm able to access the site.

Another quick question, I'm using the adafruit flow meters and am having trouble getting them to read pours (lots of foam) but when I test by blowing through the meter they work. Does anyone know if there's a calibration sketch I can run in Arduino? Apologies in advance if this was already discussed earlier in the thread, I've skimmed through the 100+ pages but was unable to find anything.

There is not a way to calibrate the meters.

What I've found helps to combat the foam is to turn the serving psi down to around 8psi or so.

Go back up a few pages to see how I drilled my cheap sensors out to avoid the foaming issue. I haven been able to finish putting mine together and testing them yet.

Thanks...I'll adjust the psi some more tonight and look into modifying the sensor. Part of my foam problem is definitely the cavaitation caused by going from 3/16" 200 bevlex hose to 1/4" barb to a 1/4"-1/2" reducer to the 1/2" nps flow meter connector. I'm considering going to larger beer line to see if I can skip the barb and reducer and plug straight into the John Guest fitting. Thanks again.

Weird, this is what I see...
View attachment 278152

The problem is with the home page setting. If I force the site to give me a page not found 404 error I can then see the site menu. But if I click on the Home button in the menu I go back to the previous problem. So the site is up but the Home page is not directing properly. It appears that the index page may be set to index.php which goes to the splash page.

The problem is with the home page setting. If I force the site to give me a page not found 404 error I can then see the site menu. But if I click on the Home button in the menu I go back to the previous problem. So the site is up but the Home page is not directing properly. It appears that the index page may be set to index.php which goes to the splash page.

Easy fix. Just format your harddrive and reinstall your os from scratch. Lol jk :)

fwiw running Chrome on W7U and simply clicking on my R'Pints shortcut landed me on the new server with no issues.

But I have OpenDNS at the top of my DNS server search lists on all our systems and that outfit is usually on top of their game. Otoh, Verizon's servers are at the bottom of the list as they can take hours to days to update. And back when I was on Comcast they were so bad about updating their DNS servers I "discovered" OpenDNS and never looked back...

Cheers!

flow meters not working...

entered sudo /var/www/python/flowmon start
returned OK
closed terminal window, opened chromium to IP address
now registering pours on both meters/taps.

Do I need to add the above line to the startup file so flowmon starts automatically?

Isn;t is supposed to start automatically anyway?

Pretty sure you missed a step when setting up the flowmon service:

Code:
$ sudo update-rc.d flowmon defaults

to ensure it runs at startup.
You'll need to reboot to prove it starts on its own...

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Do I have to use the Alamode board or I can use an Arduino Uno? Anybody tried the Uno?
The problem is that I have to buy the alamode board In EEUU online shops and with the taxes I have to pay almost double...

I've tried to connect the flow meter the same way, and modified the flow_monitor.py to connect via /dev/ttyACM0, but I'm getting this error:

Unknown message: ;0;8;2600

Exiting
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "flow_monitor.py", line 23, in <module>
msg = arduino.readline()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 456, in read
raise SerialException('device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)')
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)

When I finish the pour the TX led blinks, but I only get the above error.

Thanks in advance

Did you compile for the uno or did you follow the directions on the site exactly and compile it for the alamode?

Hi guys,

Do I have to use the Alamode board or I can use an Arduino Uno? Anybody tried the Uno?
The problem is that I have to buy the alamode board In EEUU online shops and with the taxes I have to pay almost double...

I've tried to connect the flow meter the same way, and modified the flow_monitor.py to connect via /dev/ttyACM0, but I'm getting this error:

Unknown message: ;0;8;2600

Exiting
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "flow_monitor.py", line 23, in <module>
msg = arduino.readline()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 456, in read
raise SerialException('device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)')
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)

When I finish the pour the TX led blinks, but I only get the above error.

Thanks in advance

I'm using an old duemilanove I had kicking around. Basically the same as an Uno. Modified flow_monitor.py to look for /dev/ttyUSB0 and it worked fine.

Back