versatile multi-purpose yeast strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I've gotten fairly comfortable using several different yeast strains but I'm thinking of consolidating towards a smaller stable of strains.

Was wondering if anyone has found a strain that is particularly versatile, in that it can produce vastly different (but still delicious) beers by varying the pitch rate or fermentation temperature.

By contrast, W-34/70 is great because the performance is so uniform across a wide range of pitch rates and temperatures.

Is there a yeast that you purposely use for two different styles, and simply vary the pitch rate and/or temperature to get the ester profile you want for each style?

WLP1983 - Charlies Fist Pump AKA Cry Havoc

For Ales:When fermented at ale temperatures the yeast produces fruity esters reminiscent of berries and apples. Hop character comes through well with hop accented beers. Diacetyl production will be very low when proper fermentation techniques are used.

Attenuation: 66-70%

Flocculation: Medium-Low

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74 F

Optimum Cellaring Temperature: 50-55 F (Alt beers can be cellared as lagering temperatures.)

For Lagers: When fermented at lager temperatures esters are low in high gravity beers and negligible in other beers. Pleasant baked bread-like yeast aroma is often perceived in malt accented lagers. Slightly extended fermenation times may be experienced compares to ther lagers. Some fermentation circumstances may produce sulfur aroma compounds but these will usually dissipate with time. Good yeast for bottle conditioning.

Attenuation: 66-70%

Flucculation: Low

Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58¡F

Optimum Lagering Temperature: 32-37¡F

and how do you differentiate it to get different styles? temperature?

I keep it at yeast suggestion temps. 001 is a pretty neutral yeast as well as us05. You can push the fermenting temp towards the high/low end of yeast suggestions.

Kveik. Feel like I've been a poster boy for it lately. I've had a drinkable barley wine in three weeks, and a 5% in one. Grain to glass. Pitch range is low for more citrus yeast character, and more for clean. Also, very forgiveable temp range. I don't know if I'll ever use anything else, again.

Wlp029 German ale. Super clean, and will make pseudo lagers as well as stout and pale ale, blonde etc. Gets out of the way of hops, ferments predictably every time. On the warm side it gives some esters though it’s not fruity imho.

Mightbe controversial but I don’t think it makes good kolsh. It’s too clean imho. I like wy 2565 for kolsh

Nottingham. At lower temp (12 C, 54 F) , makes a lager like. At higher (22 C, 72F) a nearly neutral Ale. Very good floculation and attenuation (80%), for a non diastatic yeast. Perfect for cold season brew.

Voss Kveik, in summer, high temp (40 C, 104F) and fast fermentation. Pretty neutral too, orange like esters, and very compact floculation.

Maybe a saison strain too, to spicy things out?

Cheers!

Back