Vermont Ale Yeast - Gravity Question - Heady Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieFierce

Reaction score
Hi guys. I recently brewed Northern Brewers Heady Topper clone "Off The Topper". All went well. I hit the suggested 1.070 OG Perfectly. I did a 2L Yeast Starter and left it on the stir plate for 24 hours prior to pitching.
Ive been using my new 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler as a primary. Ive done probably 5 batches in it with good results (easy cleaning too). Usually my primary spits out of the blow off tube for 2 days. This batch didn't ferment as vigorously. Didn't even need a blow off tube and there's 6 gal of wort in the primary (close to the top). I took a gravity reading today after about a week in the primary as I'm thinking maybe I didn't have very good yeast. Measured 1.035. I've never measured gravity this early but did because of the lack of activity. Is this normal? Ive got zero activity in my air lock at this point. Should I pitch some more yeast? Or just let it sit a while longer? I only have some Wyeast 1056 handy. It's not ideal but I'd rather add it than have an unfermented double ipa..... Your thoughts??
Thanks!!!

StevieFierce,

Did you measure SG with a refractometer or a hydrometer?

If you used a refractometer, then you might actually be done. I use The following to estimate the true sg of fermented wort:

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

If I use 18 Brix as the starting refractometer measurement and 9 Brix as the finishing (close to your values of sg of 1.070 and 1.035) and the default wort correction factor of 1.04, the calculator estimates the true FG as 1.015 with an ABV of 7.2%.

If you used a hydrometer, sounds like a stuck ferment - I can't help you there.

Good luck!

Hi guys. I recently brewed Northern Brewers Heady Topper clone "Off The Topper". All went well. I hit the suggested 1.070 OG Perfectly. I did a 2L Yeast Starter and left it on the stir plate for 24 hours prior to pitching.
Ive been using my new 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler as a primary. Ive done probably 5 batches in it with good results (easy cleaning too). Usually my primary spits out of the blow off tube for 2 days. This batch didn't ferment as vigorously. Didn't even need a blow off tube and there's 6 gal of wort in the primary (close to the top). I took a gravity reading today after about a week in the primary as I'm thinking maybe I didn't have very good yeast. Measured 1.035. I've never measured gravity this early but did because of the lack of activity. Is this normal? Ive got zero activity in my air lock at this point. Should I pitch some more yeast? Or just let it sit a while longer? I only have some Wyeast 1056 handy. It's not ideal but I'd rather add it than have an unfermented double ipa..... Your thoughts??
Thanks!!!

I've read that the Big Mouth Bubbler lids may not seal perfectly leading to very little if any airlock activity.

What temp did you ferment at?

I'd say let it sit and check it again in a few days. You most likely have fermentation occurring, it's just that the CO2 is leaking out around the lid and not going through your airlock.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Haven't had any issues with the lid up until now. It's been right around 70 deg.

StevieFierce,

Did you measure SG with a refractometer or a hydrometer?

If you used a refractometer, then you might actually be done. I use The following to estimate the true sg of fermented wort:

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

If I use 18 Brix as the starting refractometer measurement and 9 Brix as the finishing (close to your values of sg of 1.070 and 1.035) and the default wort correction factor of 1.04, the calculator estimates the true FG as 1.015 with an ABV of 7.2%.

If you used a hydrometer, sounds like a stuck ferment - I can't help you there.

Good luck!

I did in fact use my refractometer. Thanks for the tip!

Back