Ventilation For Boil Kettle Guidance Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
I don't have a ton of overhead room with my layout and the garage door, but I'd still like to get some type of vent taking out the condensation. I plan on making something similar to this:

I have two questions:

1) Is it possible to run the exhaust down, so that instead of cutting a hole in my garage to vent the exhaust, I could run a line right next to the bottom of my garage door and just crack it half a foot for the exhaust to leave?

... I've only seen examples of people running the exhaust higher up and am not sure if this is required or just common.

2) If the above is not possible, and I have a good blower/fan similar to Kal's setup from the electric brewery, what is the smallest hole I can get away with cutting into my wall for an exhaust, based on the following:

-There is a 6-8" run the entire distance from blower to the wall leading outside
-Total run is < 10 ft, and the only bend is a 90 similar to the one in the video, where it is immediately after the blower and then it goes straight until meeting the exhaust wall/hole.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why not. With the fan you're not relying on any natural draft or chimney action. Running downwards might actually be better for draining condensation out of the exhaust line, instead of it sitting in the corrugations in a horizontal line.

You don't mention what type of system you brew on, if burning gas you need lots of ventilation. If you're electric, I'd highly recommend a steam condenser over a vent fan. Here is the home version thread that started the trend but there are commercial examples you can buy now including Bobby's Steam Slayer. I built mine and love it, I almost never use my vent system any longer. It's surprising how much more peaceful my brew days are now. Originally, I drained the steam condenser into a 5 gal bucket that I would dump every 20-30 min. I have since used copper pipe to run the drain outside through the wall. You just have to make sure it drains freely and won't pool in the line. You might be able to just crack the garage door and run it under.

You don't mention what type of system you brew on, if burning gas you need lots of ventilation. If you're electric, I'd highly recommend a steam condenser over a vent fan. Here is the home version thread that started the trend but there are commercial examples you can buy now including Bobby's Steam Slayer. I built mine and love it, I almost never use my vent system any longer. It's surprising how much more peaceful my brew days are now. Originally, I drained the steam condenser into a 5 gal bucket that I would dump every 20-30 min. I have since used copper pipe to run the drain outside through the wall. You just have to make sure it drains freely and won't pool in the line. You might be able to just crack the garage door and run it under.

yup no reason to build an expensive vent hood. Just use a steam slayer.

I drain my condenser into a bucket. Water drains out of bucket through a spigot and tubing that goes to a drain via gravity. The problem with drain directly to tubing like you say is it has to be free flowing which is difficult if the tubing is more than a few feet long and not close to the drain.

It all depends on whether in a given setup draining water is easier than venting steam. You need quite a bit of water to condense steam, about six times the boil off amount (depending on how cold the water is you start with; the ratio is 5.4*180/(212 - cold water temp in Fahrenheit)).
Put another way, venting steam is a very efficient way of getting rid of heat.

Last edited:

I'm electric.

Question for the condenser... It looks like you have some type of plastic wrap around the top of the boil kettle.

Does it get annoying/messy when boil additions come into play?

I'm electric.

Question for the condenser... It looks like you have some type of plastic wrap around the top of the boil kettle.

Does it get annoying/messy when boil additions come into play?

It' not annoying or messy in any way. I don't even have to seal the lid. If your lid fits well you won't need one. It is perfect for an electric kettle. You'll love it!

Not sure what you're referring to, I don't use any plastic wrap on my system. You may be referring to a test someone did on the steam condenser thread. If you have a decent fitting lid, there is no need for a seal. I actually have 2 different systems and I use the same condenser on both. My 10 gal HERMS system has a TC port on the side of the BK near the top, and my 5 gal BIAB utilizes one in the lid (with an extra 90 deg TC pipe). I also use some paper clamps on the lid as the weight of the condenser hanging on it makes it want to lift on the opposite side. It works great on both, but I couldn't mount the BIAB one on the side due to the size and shape of the pot. Some day I hope to replace it with a pot that I can mount it to the side.

Back