Ventilation for basement electric BrewEasy system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenboy

Reaction score
So, I'm prepping a section of my basement to build out and install a five-gallon BrewEasy system. The plumbing and electrical has been completed.

The next step is the ventilation. In doing research, I've seen many types of ventilation hoods folks have used to help route the boil-off vapor out of the basement. Most cover single-tiered three vessel systems. I only need coverage for one kettle/vessel.

I have an electric hot water heater and electric AC/heating system in the same room, so I'm not worried about displacement.

I plan to use a 6" Vortex inline fan to push air.

My question is, approximately what size should the hood be to collect the vapor coming off the boil kettle? Is there a general rule of thumb or equation I should follow?

I'm thinking of using a 14" duct reducer as the hood, which would be cost effective and a little larger than the diameter of the 10-gallon Boilermaker.

thanks for any advice.

I have a 1 vessel hood that I made out of a warehouse lighting bezel. Its diameter is not much bigger than the bk and it works great!

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up a reflector like this one. Also, what type of mods, if any, did you have to do to the top to mount the inline fan?

tx!

SG

I kept it really simple and just flipped a Rubbermaid tote. I didn't have an ounce of condensation inside the hood last weekend on its maiden voyage and the size of the tote allowed for all steam to be captured.

View attachment 257337
View attachment 257338

What are the 4 ports on the kettle on the right? Is that your boil kettle or your mash tun?

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up a reflector like this one. Also, what type of mods, if any, did you have to do to the top to mount the inline fan?

tx!

SG

I picked up the aluminum reflector at work for free, they replaced all our warehouse lighting with fluorescent fixtures and were sending them out to be recycled. To connect it to the fan I used some kind of flanged vent connector piece that I bought at Menards I think. Then I just drilled the reflector and screwed it to it. The bigger trick was mounting the fan to the floor joists :)

What are the 4 ports on the kettle on the right? Is that your boil kettle or your mash tun?

The far right kettle is my HLT with a HERMS coil. The bottom port is the outlet, the top port is my recirculation port, and the two middle ports are my HERMS in/out.

Back