vent going from 6 inch to 3 inch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a exhaust hood a long time ago, was wondering if it would work better if the duckting didn't go from 6 inch to 3 inch outlet. I can take off the 3 inch and just extend the 6 inch if that would help out.

There are better qualified people around here to answer this, but in a nutshell, yes. A 3 inch outlet can only handle 1/4 of the flow the 6 inch section is carrying.

Of course it would help - and why would one have done that?
The cross section area difference between 3" and 6" diameter ducting is 4X...

Cheers!

There are better qualified people around here to answer this, but in a nutshell, yes. A 3 inch outlet can only handle 1/4 of the flow the 6 inch section is carrying.
That's not correct. Air is a gas and will just accelerate when going from 6 inch section to 3 inch section but there is indeed an increase in resistance which will reduce flow although not as dramatically. So in a nutshell if it's not too complicated to extend the 6 inch section then it's best to do so even if the benefit might not be as large as expected.

I installed a exhaust hood a long time ago, was wondering if it would work better if the duckting didn't go from 6 inch to 3 inch outlet. I can take off the 3 inch and just extend the 6 inch if that would help out.

It would work better, but have you had any issues since "a long time ago?"

Latest posts

Back