Veering from kit directions? Help, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be throwing together this Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay kit in another hour or two. I'm wondering about doing a couple things differently from the directions.

1) The kit says to pitch the yeast, a Red Star Premier Cuvée, dry. I'm thinking I should rehydrate it per the yeast directions, not the kit's.

2) I bought a jar of Yeast Nutrient, L.D. Carlson, yesterday for my mead. Should I toss a couple teaspoons of it in my prmary for this wine?

Thanks,
Matt

I didn't get any feedback, but I realize that it was kind of short notice.

I went ahead and added 2 teaspoons of Yeast Nutrient.

I also went ahead and rehydrated the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water, as directed on the yeast packet.

SWMBO pitched the yeast at 1700 EST.

Feel free to let me know if I screwed up her wine by doing the above actions.

Thanks,
Matt

i would definitley rehydrate the yeast - it is easier on the yeast and you get a higher healthier yeast count.
every kit i have done has fermented fine without yeast nutrient - i would not use it as too much may leave an off flavour in your wine.
edit - i guess i was too late - good luck

rod said:
i would definitley rehydrate the yeast - it is easier on the yeast and you get a higher healthier yeast count.
every kit i have done has fermented fine without yeast nutrient - i would not use it as too much may leave an off flavour in your wine.
edit - i guess i was too late - good luck
Do you think only 2 teaspoons, 3 less than the bottle says, could still leave off flavors?

Just bottled this wine this afternoon. It turned out pretty good, but it's definitely a little green yet. My wife and I really had fun doing this and will be doing more in the future. She says she really wants one of the pricier kits now.
P1030210.JPG

The Portuguese floor corker was indispensable. For those of you on the fence about one of these, don't think, just pick one up. It rocks.

Nice looking label; congrats on getting it in the bottle.

I've got a Cabernet kit I'm working on, our first shot at wine, and my wife's idea. I used some of the advice on a site discussing how to make better wine from kits. Worth a read even if you don't follow it to the letter (which I didn't) though I hope he knows of which he speaks, because I did change a fair amount from the recipe.

Rick

Back