vanilla stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have done one vanilla stout using real vanilla extract at flame out and was not happy with the result. This time I plan to scrape and soak 5 vanilla beans in vodka. My question is, should I add the vanilla when pitching the yeast, after primary fermentation is complete, or in the bottling bucket? I strain my wort from kettle to fermenter so adding at flameout would likely do little good, and I do not routinely secondary.

Ok, guys, no crap, my beans have been soaking for 5 days, my boil is at 187F and I'm gonna add these with the yeast unless someone tells me something better.

I'd add them after primary fermentation is done, to keep as much of the flavor as you can. I've got a batch conditioning now, where I added vanilla beans after about two weeks, held in primary for a week, then bottled. Good strong vanilla flavor so far.

Back