Vanilla porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
Brewed my 1st Porter batch.
The plan was to have this be my first batch that I don't move to the secondary. However I want a little a vanilla infused in it.

Can/when do I add a vanilla bean during primary fermentation. (How long?)

Or do I actually have to do this during the secondary stage?

Any and all advice/suggestions welcome.

There are many ways to add vanilla at different stages. You can use extract, beans or a tincture. They can go in the boil, the fermenter or at packaging. Kegging gives a lot of flexibility, as flavor can be added a little at a time. I just finished drinking a Christmas beer with extract in the boil, everyone liked it. My theory with any spice or flavoring is that too little is better than too much.

There are many ways to add vanilla at different stages. You can use extract, beans or a tincture. They can go in the boil, the fermenter or at packaging. Kegging gives a lot of flexibility, as flavor can be added a little at a time. I just finished drinking a Christmas beer with extract in the boil, everyone liked it. My theory with any spice or flavoring is that too little is better than too much.
I couldnt agree more. Especially if you want more than one a night.

I made a chocolate vanilla milk stout. 5 gallon batch. Only did primary. I created my tincture using 4 oz vodka and two vanilla beans. I put 2oz the tincture in the primary with the cacao nibs for a week and then 1 oz mixed into the priming sugar solution. Wanted it slightly stronger then I needed so that after two months it would mellow more which it did and just enhance and fill out the chocolate flavor.

Last edited:
For my Vanilla Porter (5 gallons), I simply take 4 beans and split them long ways. I scrape the schmutz out of the inside of each bean half (it kinda looks like the inside of a fig newton). The schmutz goop and the beans to into an old white labs yeast tube (for the younger folks that haven't seen those, it kinda looks like a fat pudgy test tube with a screw lid). Fill the remaining space with some generic unflavored vodka. Shake it daily while the porter is fermenting.

Having conicals, after primary fermentation is complete, I dump the trub (I guess that means its now a secondary) and add the entire tube of beans and goop. That sits for a couple weeks. I swish around it a little every day.

The little bit of vodka helps extract the goodness from the beans and makes it a bit more sanitary (or at least I like to think it does). It's not enough vodka to flavor or alter the batch.

I also do closed CO2 pressure transfers from the fermenter to the keg. I don't want any of that aroma escaping until it's in my glass :)

Quite yummy.

I made tincture.
1. When do I add to primary.
2. How long before bottleing assuming ferment is stopped.

I have several pumpkin ales and always add vanilla after fermentation is done. I have had good results using a high quality organic extract, about 2 tsp per 5 gallons, give it a week or so and taste. I'd probably try beans next with vodka, but they are so darn expensive at the moment I would hate to screw it up.

Latest posts

Back