Vanilla Porter help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I am working on a vanilla porter in a short time frame. I have used vanilla beans in the past with certain beers and had great success. However I have a short timeline or this beer, roughly 17 days. I have a great robust porter PM recipe that I have used in the past that would go great with a vanilla addition. I am going for a pretty vanilla forward beer. Not trying to hide the vanilla at all so I picked up 4 beans at the supermarket. If I sanitize, split, and scrape these and the ad them directly to primary for 15 days assuming I am going to rack my beer into the keg to force carb for 2 days. Is the vanilla going to be over the top? I have used 2 beans in other recipes, racking the beer on to the beans and have always got VERY SUBTLE! Vanilla flavor. Let me know what you guys think?

How much are brewing? Four beans seems way over the top to me if you are going for 5 gallons but of course it all depends on how long you let the beer rest on the beans. How are you sanitizing them? I've had great results with one bean split and then soaked in vodka. I then add the whole mess, vodka and all, to the beer and let it rest. I suppose you could add four beans but I'm afraid that after 15 days you might have a very heavy vanilla porter, and by very I mean Gargantuan.

I agree I just bottled my vanilla porter last night, used 2 beans for 5 gallons, split, scraped and soaked in vodka for 2 days, then dumped everything. Pretty strong vanilla flavor, IMO 4 would be over the top

Back