Vanilla Cinnamon Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eogaard

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a mead to be ready for fall, and I'm thinking that a Vanilla Cyser with cinnamon would be great, only I haven't really been able to find a recipe for it. Anyone out there that knows one/is able to estimate how much of the ingredients I would need to do a 1 gallon batch of this? Looking to make my own vanilla extract as well, not the store bought stuff. Thanks!

Vanilla is one of the harder flavors to get into a mead. IT comes out very subtly and fades quickly. I would add any beans / extract later in the process. Probably closer to bottling.

Cinnamon is a bit more dominant and will stick around for as long as you need it. Start with maybe 1 small stick per gallon if you like big cinnamon. You could even get away with half a stick as you are looking for some other spice contributions.

the big rule for really adding anything to mead is you can always add more but you can't take it out once it's in.

Then just substitute your water with apple juice / apple cider (sorry Fatbloke)

Good to know. Any idea how much vanilla would be a good amount if I add shortly before bottling? Also, are there any yeasts that work specifically well for cysers? Ive seen champagne yeast in a few recipes.

I used a champagne yeast it my first cyser and it came out bone dry. I used cotes de blancs, that was a little better, but I'm not really sure. Just keep your ferment temps down to avoid fussels which have been the bane of 2 of my cysers.

if you're adding straight vanilla extract, just add a bit of a time until the taste is where you want it, then bottle. Beans will be a similar thing but add 1-2 beans per gallon and let it sit in there, taste until it's where you want it.

Back