Vanilla beans..Flavor fading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsusinga

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone happen to know a trick to keeping vanilla flavor from fading? I just recently tried my Dreamsicle wheat i brewed last month. I used an ounce of dried orange peel and saphir hops in the boil, and fresh orange peel in secondary along with 3 vanilla beans. I did as suggested and cut up the vanilla beans and scraped out the seeds. Dumped all that in with the orange peel. I tasted it after doing a gravity reading and the vanilla flavor was too subtle, so i soaked a couple more beans in vodka foe several days and dumped that in a few days before bottling. I just tried one after being bottled for a week and the orange really comes through great but there is absolutely no vanilla flavor. I think thats strange considering i used 5 vanilla beans. Any suggestions?

Use all five in the secondary next time - vanilla is a delicate flavor to begin with, so a lot of orange could easily cover it. If you want more, try a (high quality) vanilla extract. Vodka will suck some of the flavor and aroma out, but a good commercial brand will be much more potent. Make sure it says "Pure Vanilla Extract," or something along those lines. A cheap variety won't be any more help than the beans-in-vodka trick.

Use all five in the secondary next time - vanilla is a delicate flavor to begin with, so a lot of orange could easily cover it. If you want more, try a (high quality) vanilla extract. Vodka will suck some of the flavor and aroma out, but a good commercial brand will be much more potent. Make sure it says "Pure Vanilla Extract," or something along those lines. A cheap variety won't be any more help than the beans-in-vodka trick.
Thanks murphy. How much extract do you think i should use per gallon?

Depends on how powerful you want the flavor. I would start with between one-half and one tablespoon per gallon, that'll probably throw a decent flavor when combined with the beans. If you want more just dial it up as you go along.

The beans will provide more aroma that you'd probably miss with the extract alone, which will mainly contribute to flavor only. You could reduce the number of beans, but I wouldn't recommend omitting them completely.

Vanillin (the main component of vanilla flavoring) is an aldehyde. They are easily reduced to alcohols by yeast during fermentation, so I suspect you're just losing that flavor due to the bottle conditioning. I've never used vanilla, but I have oak aged beers, and seen the vanilla character disappear in the bottle. I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do about it.

Back