Vanilla bean porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffy85

Reaction score
About a month and a half ago I brewed my first porter that I am making with vanilla beans added to it. I'm not going with a full porter though, it's more a mix between a porter and a boch.

6lbs amber liquid extract
1lb chocolate malt
1lb pale malt
1lb roasted barley
1oz mt. Hood hops 6%
4 vanilla beans
and I used london ale wyeast

Ok. My question on this is. Do you think I used to much on the grains. I tested it the other week and it had a bit more grain flavor than I was hoping for. I'm hoping that by letting it sit another almost 2 weeks and letting it bottle condition for 3 weeks that taste will mellow. Wht do you guys think?

that sounds delicious. Did you cut longways down the vanilla beans or scrape out the center and add to the secondary? I'm curious as to how that will taste.

I cut the beans long ways, then cut in to small
pieces and let them sit in the secondary for about 3 weeks. I'm doing a light carbonation on them so I'm pretty stoked. When i tasted it before bottling it was better than I remembered. Lol. Well I'll keep you up to date on this.

The chocolate and roasted will give it a very grainy flavor if the ratio is to high but some like it that way. It seems like it will be fine though especially with the vanilla to soften the flavors.

Back