vancouver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
So i'm going to vancouver on a family vacay. As I typically do, i'd like to make my way to some breweries/brewpubs that just so happen to be conveniently located near some other sight that we're seeing (e.g. "oh wow, there's a brewery around the corner from this boring museum, i never knew, guess we should probably go there....."). So any suggestions for that sort of thing? Or just suggestions in general

Where to start ...

There are a lot of breweries in Vancouver. Most of them are located on the east side of the city -- many clustered around Grandview, Strathcona, Powell Streets. The Main Street area is another cluster. Am guessing that you'll be staying downtown; if so, it's an easy bus or train ride to many of them. My recommendations are Brassneck (excellent), Strange Fellows (great standards and sours), Callister (multiple brewing companies brewing out of one brewery), Bomber (my favourite pilsner) and Strathcona (good selection of tasty beers and pizza). You could ambitiously walk through Grandview/Strathcona or Main Street from one brewery to four or five more. It's pretty great.

If you're looking for a bar with a good selection of local craft beers, St. Augustine's in right next to the Commercial-Broadway Skytrain station. Best part -- hop the train from downtown, have some beers and train back DT. If you're wanting to stay downtown, the Alibi Room is the gold standard for a craft beer pub.

Plenty to choose from. Do your homework on what styles you're looking for and you'll be spoiled for choice.

Good advice from Nugent.
Just remember.... don't say VancouVER.. They'll spit in your beer.
It's pronounced, VancouVAH.. You'll endear yourself to the locals.......

Where to start ...

There are a lot of breweries in Vancouver. Most of them are located on the east side of the city -- many clustered around Grandview, Strathcona, Powell Streets. The Main Street area is another cluster. Am guessing that you'll be staying downtown; if so, it's an easy bus or train ride to many of them. My recommendations are Brassneck (excellent), Strange Fellows (great standards and sours), Callister (multiple brewing companies brewing out of one brewery), Bomber (my favourite pilsner) and Strathcona (good selection of tasty beers and pizza). You could ambitiously walk through Grandview/Strathcona or Main Street from one brewery to four or five more. It's pretty great.

If you're looking for a bar with a good selection of local craft beers, St. Augustine's in right next to the Commercial-Broadway Skytrain station. Best part -- hop the train from downtown, have some beers and train back DT. If you're wanting to stay downtown, the Alibi Room is the gold standard for a craft beer pub.

Plenty to choose from. Do your homework on what styles you're looking for and you'll be spoiled for choice.
Excellent. I hadn't heard of any of those, only 33 Acres and the like. So to make this work in my favor without getting the side-eye from the wife, I try to disguise or bundle the brewery visits with some other activity we're doing. Dedicated brewery visits have their time and place in our lives, but this time we're traveling with two children....so i have to be strategic so as to not disrupt the balance. That being said, are there any interesting attractions near these breweries that I could reasonably cloak in the disguise of necessary sight seeing?

Gastown is a touristy, family friendly neighborhood, and home to Steamworks-solid IPA and decent food. We liked Brassneck & R&B a lot as well.

Hey dont forget to goto P49, they have like 25 of their own beers on tap!

Commercial Drive is an Italian/hipster/hippie area near many of the Grandview/Strathcona breweries.

Plenty of little shops, coffee places, good food and the like. Some good parks for the kids too. A bit grungy though. Easy to tool around it and try breweries as you tool.

+1 about Steamworks Flagship IPA -- delicious NE IPA.

Surprised Grandville brewing isn't mentioned here.

While alot of craft beer drinkers look down on their ales sold in liqour stores (most people see them as craft lite that I know of) they have solid intro ales and more importantly they sell their likited editions only from their brewery location, which happens to be on Granville Island, one of Vancouver's biggest tourist attractions.

I think that people poo-poo GI because they're now owned by Molson Coors, but they were the original Vancouver craft brewery back in the early 80s. I drank a lot of their beer back in the day.

Latest posts

Back