UX Student - Looking for Feedback on Beer Brewing App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YodaTheCat

Reaction score
I'm studying UX Design at a Tech Bootcamp and for a class project, I decided that I want to create a case study mobile app that helps new brewers or people thinking about getting into the hobby.

I like to reach out to new or experienced brewers alike and hope to get thoughts or feedback on the below questions. (feel free to answer questions that apply to you and share any further thoughts)

New to Homebrewing
  1. How much do you know about the brewing process and how did you learn about it?
  2. What are some of your biggest challenges in getting into the homebrewing?
  3. Why or How did you choose your first recipe? (Feel free to eloborate the thought process and why you finally decided on the recipe)
Experienced Homebrewers
  1. What were some of the biggest challenges when you first got into it?
  2. What made you get into homebrewing and how did you learn about it?
  3. How do you usually go about selecting your recipes?
  4. What are some of the biggest challenges you see new homebrewers face?
Thanks for all that have replied and note any other feed back or thoughts are welcome.

Experienced Homebrewers
  1. What were some of the biggest challenges when you first got into it? The startup cost and figuring out the process and how to brew with no one to show me the ropes.
  2. What made you get into homebrewing and how did you learn about it? I love beer and I'm a big DIY'er. I also love cooking things that take a long time.
  3. How do you usually go about selecting your recipes? The season plays a big role in what I'm brewing. I usually just brew the styles I like to drink given the time of year.
  4. What are some of the biggest challenges you see new homebrewers face? Where to start as in extract, partial mash, or all grain recipes. Startup costs, and where to get accurate information or what books to buy.

Experienced Homebrewers
  1. What were some of the biggest challenges when you first got into it? The startup cost and figuring out the process and how to brew with no one to show me the ropes.
  2. What made you get into homebrewing and how did you learn about it? I love beer and I'm a big DIY'er. I also love cooking things that take a long time.
  3. How do you usually go about selecting your recipes? The season plays a big role in what I'm brewing. I usually just brew the styles I like to drink given the time of year.
  4. What are some of the biggest challenges you see new homebrewers face? Where to start as in extract, partial mash, or all grain recipes. Startup costs, and where to get accurate information or what books to buy.
Thanks for your feedback

Experienced Homebrewers

4. What were some of the biggest challenges when you first got into it?

Startup cost was probably the biggest challenge. It's hard to justify hundreds of dollars on a hobby I didn't know if I'd like. There aren't a ton of Homebrewers where I live, so finding the community was slightly more difficult. I started spending tons of time here and reading Zymergy.

5. What made you get into homebrewing and how did you learn about it?

I started enjoying craft beer. My brother told be a story about his roommate in his college dorms brewing beer in his closet, and I always laughed and thought it was clever.

6. How do you usually go about selecting your recipes?

I start with a style. I Try to plan ahead. To brew according to the season. Then I start digging through books and Zymergy catalogues. They all have pages with corners bent down making recipes I want to try. I forced myself to develope recipes as well. I rely on Brewing Classic Styles and Designing Great Beers to guide me down that path.

7. What are some of the biggest challenges you see new homebrewers face?

Startup cost. It might be overwhelming to find where to start, but I never felt that way.

Back