Using Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I'm making a Holiday Ale and I'm going to be using whole vanilla beans. It's going to be a 5 gallon amber ale base, I want a hint of vanilla, as I'm adding cinnamon and nutmeg the last few minutes of the Boil. How many vanilla beans should I add? And should I crack the beans? I'm going to soak the beans in vodka to sanitize. Thanks!

I would use about a half ounce of beans. Split them, scrape them, and dump everything into the mix. I wait until fermentation has started and do not bother with the vodka, but that should work okay as well. Good luck!

I would use about a half ounce of beans. Split them, scrape them, and dump everything into the mix. I wait until fermentation has started and do not bother with the vodka, but that should work okay as well. Good luck!

Why not bother with the vodka?

The vodka is to keep strange beasties out of your beer. I have never soaked them and always dumped them after fermentation took off. I had no issues, but if you are being extra careful, it can't hurt and is probably good practice.

I made a vanilla roggenweizen and used 2 vanilla beans soaked in vanilla vodka. They were split, scrapped, cut and scored with paste and all soaking for about a day, then thrown in to the fermentor. Was my first beer ever, and can't recall when I put them in, but I think I put them in right away. I let them sit in there the 2 weeks of fermentation and I barely got any vanilla notes. It may just have been too suble to notice, but I think because I threw them in at the start of fermentation, i blew off a lot of the aroma notes.

This time around, I'm going to put them in near the end of fermentation and make sure they sit about 2 weeks, though I will likely also be tasting it this time around to find that perfect note.

If anything, that's what I would recommend. Whatever you toss in, check on the flavor every few days until you get what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I bet a full pint of vodka wouldn't even add heat. Much less the 4 oz needed to soak beans

I never skip sanitizing post-fermentation additions as by that point I have too much invested and I don't believe the alcohol content in most beers is truly antibiotic.

Hell, some bugs thrive on ethanol and make a total mess in the offing...

Cheers!

I'm making a Holiday Ale and I'm going to be using whole vanilla beans. It's going to be a 5 gallon amber ale base, I want a hint of vanilla, as I'm adding cinnamon and nutmeg the last few minutes of the Boil. How many vanilla beans should I add? And should I crack the beans? I'm going to soak the beans in vodka to sanitize. Thanks!

Another option is make a tea with it.

A la... The Holiday Ale thread

Back