Using Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmcint01

Reaction score
My recipe calls for vanilla beans put in at the end of the boil to be split and deseeded. Does this mean I'm not using the seeds or am I putting them in with the bean but just separately?

I'm doing the BYO Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout clone

Thanks for your help.

The vanilla flavor comes from the seeds inside the pod. When I've used them in the boil, I split open the pods lengthwise (sometimes scraped the seeds out with a spoon), then add the pod and the seeds from inside into the boil.

I'm trying something different this time though, to try and capture some of the more complex vanilla flavors. I'm going to split open the pods, and put them in a jar with a bit of rum for 24-48 hours before racking, then add them to the secondary and rack the beer on top of them for a week or so before kegging.

When I used vanilla beans I split them and scraped the seeds into the secondary (doused then in sanitizer after cutting them ). It was a last minute decision to add them and they only stayed in for a week. Next time id do what the person above suggested and soak them in bourbon. I've not added vanilla during the boil but I bet that would impart more vanilla flavor. The vanilla in my stout is most present in the aroma.

I've done 5 or 6 brews basically using vanilla beans as a late "hop" addition, anywhere from the last 5-15min of the boil. The beer ends up with a very subtle vanilla flavor, but it is hard to catch, especially if there's a lot of other stuff going on in the beer.

Back