Using Vanilla Beans in Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville61

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning to brew a basic porter kit but want to add some vanilla taste to. Reading older threads, its seems like using vanilla beans in the secondary seems to to be the best way to add the flavor.

However, its seems like the right amount and time in the secondary is debatable. I see some ppl say they add 2 beans, split and scraped, some 3. Some for only 1 few days.

Has anyone had success using vanilla beans? And if so, how did you do it? I am looking for a decent amount of vanilla flavor without overpowering the beer.

Also, I see places like MidwestSupplies sells beans in 1oz packages, is that typically a couple beans or multiple?

Thanks you all in advance!
:mug:

i cut 2 beans in half, soak them in vodka for a couple hours, and dump them in the secondary, then siphon the porter into the secondary. i leave it there for about 21 days to absorb the flavor and mellow a little, keg it, let it sit for another 3 weeks while slowly carbing, and drink. makes for a great beer

I put 2 beans, split and scaped out, in the wort at flame out and let it sit for about a few moinutes before I start to cool the wort.

Are you boiling your wort at all? I've added vanilla (sliced down the bean) into the boil for the last 10min and had great results. 1 bean for 5 gal is noticeable but 2 would def let you know that it was there. If adding to a secondary...go with what lumpher said. Good luck. Sounds delicious!:mug:

I like to slice 2 beans, scrape them and toss everything into the boil the last 10 to 15 minutes.

I used vanilla beans in a brewer's best cream ale, 1 split down the length then cut in half in the boil, another 1 same way in the secondary, then 2 the same way soaked in vodka for a week then the vodka beans and all dumped in the secondary just prior to racking to bottle bucket. I split them but never scraped them. I feel if you scrape them then you lose some of the flavor component.

I used 2 1/2 vanilla beans in a porter. Soaked in brandy for 7 days, put in the secondary for 10 days and then bottled. It was delicious, but next time I will only have them in the secondary 3-5 days. Good luck

I used 5 whole beans in my vanilla porter, split and scraped, soaked in enough vodka to cover the pieces for 7 days, then added everything (the vodka too) to my secondary for 3 weeks, and out of the 11 beers I have brewed so far, this one is the one that everyone loves the best. It is not too overpowering, in fact most know something is added but can't pinpoint it until I tell them what it is. I am brewing it again soon. Don't be afraid, jump in. If it is too overpowering for your taste, just let it sit a bit. It does fade over time. I just had one that is 4 months old, and it has faded quite a bit.

Back