Using up some ingredients... Made beer, should be interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
So I had some ingredients that needed to be used up. I had a east cost ale yeast that had hit its use by date, that needed to be used up, so I threw some stuff together and made some beer, it should be a light red to dark golden in color. Well see how it tastes.

This was the ingrediennts I used.

3.3 lbs of Briess Bavarian wheat LME
3.3 lbs of Bries Pilsen Light LME
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Chocolate malt
4 oz Malto-dextrin

1 oz Hallertaur at 60 mins (Bittering)
1 oz East Kent Goldings 15 mins (Aroma)

WhiteLabs East coast ale yeast.

Made a starter about 24 hours before brewing. It was bubling away 8 hours later.

Any ideas if this will be any good?

Update. I had this sitting in primary for a month, and then secondary for a month, hoping I was getting kegging equipment for christmas. So I got the kegging equipment and kegged this one. Poured a glass, it wasnt carbed enough and was somewhat carmaly tasting, and a medium thick mouth feel. Not terrible, but not great, had good flavor, but something didnt seem right. I returned the keg to carbing pressure, and let it sit another week. This time the carbonation looked right and holy smokes is it tasty. Reminds me a little of smithwick, the taste is slightly different from smithwicks, but has a really creamy head and a smoother or soft mouthfeel, but not too thick feeling. I just had 2 more last night. I had the fridge at 38 degree, but noticed the beer tasted a little better when it warmed up, so I set the fridge to 44 and those two last night were awesome. Its amazing how the carbination changed the percieved taste. The carmely taste isnt really noticable anymore.

Latest posts

Back