Using two yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
I brewed Palmer's Elevenses but tossed in two yeasts: S04 and Windsor
The fermentation started immediately. Within a few hours the krausen was 3" high.
Do you think the use of two yeasts will be too much? I know Papazian talks about "yeast bite" but I suspect he's talking about using a lot of recycled yeast.

Although you have a lower OG batch (NB website says 1.045 OG), using 2 packets of yeast, or a starter, isn't uncommon. With it kicking off that fast, I am curious what temperature the wort was when you pitched the yeast? Since both are an English-style yeast, the flavor differences imparted from the 2 may not be too different.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot said:
I brewed Palmer's Elevenses but tossed in two yeasts: S04 and Windsor The fermentation started immediately. Within a few hours the krausen was 3" high. Do you think the use of two yeasts will be too much? I know Papazian talks about "yeast bite" but I suspect he's talking about using a lot of recycled yeast.

RE pitching temp: Perhaps a little high.
I had made the wort with a partial boil and cooled it with an ice bath and then with cool water in the carboy,
Then I realized i hadn't added the late extract so I boiled a bit of water and boiled the extract and then cooled it via ice bath and dropped it in.
I used the additional yeast (Windsor) because I was worried that some hot water into the carboy might hurt the S04 already in there.
I felt the sides of the carboy and it felt coolish so I really don't know.
My basement is at about 17 C or 65 F.

Back