Using Turbo Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnman68

Reaction score
I have read several articles about turbo yeast. What is the story of turbo yeast? Why do some rave about turbo yeast and why do some really putt it down? What are the downsizes and the upsides?
I have read that it ferments in two days, and is ready to consume in three,is this true?
I know this is a lot of questions, and I have wondered about it especially when I looked at the price of turbo yeast. So if you all don't mind, please let me know the pros and cons.

Thanks

mtnman68

I don't have any experience with turbo yeasts, but from what I've read in various sources they're designed to chew through a sugar water mix, not actual fruit. I have no idea what the flavour from it would be, and the amount of fussels might be substantial. could be worth experimenting though.

Have never used, but read, and been advised by my brew shop: yes turbos are very quick, but the resulting product will taste AWFUL. They're meant to ferment sugar mash before distilling, where you then remove most of the "off" flavours. Since you posted in the cider forum I assume you're considering making a fermented beverage like cider, in which case I suggest you reconsider. Blech.

On the other hand, I've never done it, so if you'd like to take a bullet for science and report back...

Upsides: quick; Downsides: terrible

I really don't know about that.I am not into taking a bullet for some one else. I believe I will think about it a while. I have to go to the hospital for three weeks starting next week, and I was planning to make or try to make a strawberry cider when I get back. If that works out I might try to make plain apple cider using the turbo yeast just to see how it tastes. I guess I will see when I get back. If I do I will let you know how it tastes

mtnman68

If you are trying to run your tractor off of cider, then go for it.

Turbo yeast is really for making sugar water alcohol and not much else. It gives off a lot of heat and potential fusels. I would find a non-agressive residually fruity yeast and let that work off while you are away from home. If you want your fruit must to taste like fruit after fermentation, I would find a very cool dark spot to ferment in, and be willing to wait a number of months after bottling.

You're probably already there, but I wanted to wish you well for your hospital visit! Looking forward to hearing about your experiments when you get out. :mug:

Back