using toasted flaked oats as an adjunct.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerGuy

Reaction score
so im still an extract brewer and of course would like to step into the world of grain brewing. i discovered you can toast oats and use them as a portion of fermentable sugars. can anyone point me in the direction of quantities to sugar proportions? and perhaps what temp i should mash at...and also how long i should boil? i could use times and temps from regular batches but i will not have any base grains such as 2 row or pilsner.

Without any base malt you are not able to conduct a mash and convert starch to sugar .

Toasted Oats impart nutty/biscuity flavor and oatmeal character to your Beer .

It can be done by steeping . Spread the flaked oats out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven around 300 °F (149 °C) until they begin to slightly color up and give off a nutty oatmeal cookie character.

Hector

Mash them with 2/3-to-equal parts of 2-row, pilsner or pale malt at 152F for one hour. Boil for an hour. If you steep without mashing, the oats will only add unfermentable starch to your beer, which will be turned into a permanent haze by boiling. If you toast them you will get a little bit of the cookie flavor Hector mentions, but you will still have the haze. Maybe not a big deal in an opaque oatmeal stout.

thankyou for your responses. just got back with some domestic 2-row..........ITS MY FIRST MALT!!! going to mash 1.5 kilos with about 1.5 kilos toasted oats and add as the fermentable sugars in a liquid malt extract kit.

GAAAAAA!! im super excited! im toasting today and will brew tomorrow. i will actually be adding this to a pilsner LME and fermenting with an ale yeast. i dont really follow any rules. im thinking whats inexpensive and could work? and the pilsner is 12 bucks on blow out.

i dont really follow any rules. im thinking whats inexpensive and could work? and the pilsner is 12 bucks on blow out.

It does NOT sound good !

If you use something inexpensive but follow no Rules , then it becomes Expensive .

Hector

If you use something inexpensive but follow no Rules , then it becomes Expensive
Well said!

Imagine getting the ingredients together for spaghetti sauce. Tomatoes, onions, garlic - hey, cantaloupes are on sale! I'll put one of those in as well.

Everything about brewing is a rule, one way or another - how to mash, how to clean, how to ferment... (here's a tip I learned when studying music theory: if the word "rules" bothers you, it's a little more philosophically satisfying to substitute the word "principles.") All the advice we give, the numbers we spew out, the critiques we offer, they all come from somewhere. Sometimes it's from personal experience, but often we're drawing from the ten-thousand years of brewing history. The likelihood of you brewing a beer that no one has brewed before is very small. While I rarely follow the style guidelines very strictly, I recognize that the styles are what they are because they define beers that people like to drink.

In a recent BYO article, Jamil Zainasheff pointed out that oats don't have a whole lot of flavor on their own. The flavors and aromas we usually associate with oats (think oatmeal cookies) come primarily from the things we mix with them to give them more flavor. Toasting does help, but be careful not to over-toast. Burnt anything gives beer a harsh astringency. Witbier is often made with wheat, pils some raw oats, and some spices.

I should also point out that even if you mash the oats, your beer may still be a little cloudy, but at least it won't be like gravy.

when i say im not following rules i mean im not sing an oatmeal barley mash in a stout and im using ale yeast instead of lager yeast.

1+ Captain !!!

The beer you are describing would not be a lager.
Stout is most often brewed with Irish Ale yeast.

A lager is a clean beer, this will likely not be "clean at all".

Back