Using the hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
What is the best method of using the hydrometer? Do you just sanitize it and put it in your fermenter to test SG right before you pitch yeast? The kit I have doesn't really give me the option of doing it any other way.

What is the best method of using the hydrometer? Do you just sanitize it and put it in your fermenter to test SG right before you pitch yeast? The kit I have doesn't really give me the option of doing it any other way.

That works fine in a pail for your OG. It should come with a sampling tube that allows you to remove some beer (with a wine thief or turkey baster) and do the reading in the sampling tube instead of the beer. Then you can take a little taste and dunp the rest....but not back into the beer!!!

I guess I didn't realize what the tube that the hydrometer came in was for. one question down, 999 to go...

Then you can take a little taste and dunp the rest....but not back into the beer!!!

I agree with the above statement if he means dump it down your gullet. Never dump beer, or even wort for that matter anywhere but down your gullet.

Latest posts

Back