Using Smoked Malts with Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgolanos

Reaction score
I want to brew a Grodziskie (Grätzer) now that winter is coming down under. I have 3 or so kilos of smoked wheat but I also have 5 kilos of Rauchmaltz that I was accidentally given in a recent order.

Anyway, before I brew with either malt, I'd like to know will fermenting a smoked beer in a plastic fermenter ruin the fermenter? Will there be a perpetual smokiness to the fermenter afterwards?

I brewed a 1.5g Grodziskie in a MR Beer plastic fermenter. I used a 100% Oak smoked wheat malt and the fermenter still smells. I haven't used it again because of that but can't say if it will pass along the smoke.

I suppose it depends on the amount of smoke. I do a maple bacon bourbon brown which has some cherry smoked malt in it, fermented in a Spiedel. No smell in the emptied fermenter that I can tell, but again it is a small amount of the grain bill.

I have done it many times. I haven't noticed anything that concerned me, regarding the plastic. I could never smell anything after cleaning.

Back