Using Saved Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I have some Magnum hops pellets that were opened for a brew in early September. I put what I had left in a ziplock in the freezer. Can I use them now for a brew or would they have gone bad in some fashion?

The intended use is as a bittering hop for a stout.

I have some Magnum hops pellets that were opened for a brew in early September. I put what I had left in a ziplock in the freezer. Can I use them now for a brew or would they have gone bad in some fashion?

The intended use is as a bittering hop for a stout.

They may have oxidized a little but it's good you froze them. I'd use them.

Yeah i've used hops that old no problem. I usually attempt to only open a corner of the o2 barrier bag they come in, squeeze the air out, wrap them in a rubberband, store in mason jars in the freezer. Seems to keep them as fresh as possible.

Yeah i've used hops that old no problem. I usually attempt to only open a corner of the o2 barrier bag they come in, squeeze the air out, wrap them in a rubberband, store in mason jars in the freezer. Seems to keep them as fresh as possible.

I usually just remove the air and throw them in the freezer. I like the mason jar idea BradleyBrew! I swear they should change the name of mason jars to "brewing jars". I love them!

I've actually seen a calculator online that allows you to figure out how much of the alpha acids would be dissipated over time. Had options for open air, air tight, vacuum packed, frozen, room temp, etc.

But I've used it several times. They lose potency, but so long as they're not actually moldy, they're fine.

I've actually seen a calculator online that allows you to figure out how much of the alpha acids would be dissipated over time. Had options for open air, air tight, vacuum packed, frozen, room temp, etc.

But I've used it several times. They lose potency, but so long as they're not actually moldy, they're fine.

Link please :mug:

Back