using rye flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calibrewer209

Reaction score
I am making northern brewer's Denny's wry smile rye ipa. I want it to be cloudy so I'm adding 1 lb of rye flakes and I have a couple question about it... will using rye flakes give me the cloudy effect I'm after? Is it ok to just steep the flakes with the other specialty grains and if not, what should I do? And will adding the flakes add gravity points?

Here's the original recipe w/o rye flakes:

5 gal batch
2.5 gal boil
60 min boil
OG 1.078

Malts
3.15 lb rye malt extract
1 lb corn sugar
6.3 lb rye malt extract (last 15 min)

Specialty grains
.5 lb briess caramel 60l (steeped)
.5 lb briess carapils (steeped)

Hops
1 oz mt. Hood (first boil)
1 oz Columbus (60 min)
1 oz mt. Hood (30 min)
1 oz mt. Hood (flame out)
1 oz Columbus (dry hop)

I'm really only looking for the clouding effect so I'm not worried about not getting much flavor from just steeping it. If I have to do a mini mash what would be the process?

Thnx for the help!

YOu could just get hop haze. Or you could stir up your yeast a bit and dump it for cloudiness.Why you want that is beyond me though.I think you need to mash the rye flakes. I have hop haze or chill haze right now in my pale ale refrigerating, im waiting for it to clear before drinking just because,anybody know how long it takes to clear in the fridge if it does?

The reason I want it cloudy is because I basically want a hef but with rye instead of wheat... and when I buy a hef I expect it to be cloudy.

YOu could just get hop haze. Or you could stir up your yeast a bit and dump it for cloudiness.Why you want that is beyond me though.I think you need to mash the rye flakes. I have hop haze or chill haze right now in my pale ale refrigerating, im waiting for it to clear before drinking just because,anybody know how long it takes to clear in the fridge if it does?

In my experience, most of the haze is gone in about 2-3 weeks, but sometimes takes a month to get crystal clear.

whats the reason 4 cornsugar? I know flaked wheat can cause starch haze better than wheat malt.

I'm not sure what the corn sugars for, it's in the kit and the recipe tells me to put it in at the beginning of the boil with the first addition of the malts. I just read on another forum that someone adds a tablespoon of all purpose flour to the last 10 mins of the boil and his wheat beers stay "forever cloudy". Does anyone see any negative effect to doing this? Cuz I was thinking about trying it.

Back