Using Rolled Oats in Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomVA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be using half a pound of rolled oats in my next AG BIAB batch of milk stout to see if I can feel the silky texture they impart. The oats I bought are Quaker Oats, Quick 1-Minute (does not say "Instant") and the ingredients are listed as just "Whole Grain Rolled Oats". Two questions:

1. Can I mash these oats with the grains without pre-cooking them?

2. Will using Whirlfloc at the end of the boil remove the oat's proteins and reduce the "silky" texture I am seeking?

Thanks!

TomVA

Will leave the Whirlfloc question to someone else (only used it once and didn't see much difference), but you should be fine to mash the oats right along with the grains. I just did this with an oatmeal stout (in primary), I used Trader Joes toasted rolled oats. I've heard lightly toasting them first helps, using the pre-toasted ones saves a step :p Let us know how it turns out, good luck!

I will be using half a pound of rolled oats in my next AG BIAB batch of milk stout to see if I can feel the silky texture they impart. The oats I bought are Quaker Oats, Quick 1-Minute (does not say "Instant") and the ingredients are listed as just "Whole Grain Rolled Oats". Two questions:

1. Can I mash these oats with the grains without pre-cooking them?

2. Will using Whirlfloc at the end of the boil remove the oat's proteins and reduce the "silky" texture I am seeking?

Thanks!

TomVA

1. Yes this is the correct type of oats. Think of it this way... a 1 minute cook time is only enough to warm them up so they have to be pre-cooked. The ones that are 5-30 minutes still need to be cooked.

2. You can go either way on this. I'd probably add it to help precipitate out some of the things that will degrade the beer with age. I whirlfloc my out stout and its silky smooth.

Rolled oats are fine in the mash, that's what flaked oats are at homebrew stores. I've done it many times with both barley and oats.

Rolled oats are fine in the mash, that's what flaked oats are at homebrew stores. I've done it many times with both barley and oats.

Correct. Rolled and flaked are the same thing. And quick oats are just rolled oats that have been chopped into smaller pieces.

Back