Using plastic water bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a bad idea, like Pkrd said the tops can blow off under pressure and the bottles will most likely expand, fall over and possibly add some off flavors

I don't see what the problem would be. The water jugs are made from food-grade polycarbonate. Where would the off-flavors come from? And the pressure issue shouldn't arise, as you are venting off CO2 with an airlock or blowoff tube. You will just need to find the right size stopper to fit in the mouth.

Edit: The older water bottles were polycarbonate or some other plastic (recycle code 7), which has been phased out, due to the risks from bisphenol A. Newer ones are PET, or high-density polyethylene, both of which are safer. The recycle codes for those are 1 and 2, respectively. The Better Bottle carboys are made from PET. Check your water jug to make sure it's not the older polycarbonate. Here's a good post on this subject.

I think OP wad asking about using them to bottle in, not for fermentation. I can't answer specifics about possible of flavors but I've read that you can't use Hinkley and Schmidt 5 gals so I figured store brand bottles would be a bag idea.

OP if your looking into a easy and cheaper way to bottle toy can look for PET bottles with a screw top, check craigslist for swing top bottles or see if a liquor store sells Grolsh 4 packs with swing tops and get your friends to drink it for a couple weeks.

I buy Sam Adams Octoberfest in 12 packs. By doing this I get to drink great beer and then use the bottles for home brew. SAm Adams is one of the very few that use non-screw off bottles.

I almost always ferment in 4 or 5 gal water bottles and before keging bottled in soda bottles. Much better than glass.

Use soda bottles if you want. They are designed for pressure. I'm assuming you are not talking about fermenting... I mean who ferments in 16 oz bottles? ;-). That was for the folks to drunk to look at the link you provided. Ask friends for beer and plastic soda bottles. Soon you'll have too many.
Cheers

I really like 1 liter plastic soda bottles for beer and cider. I also use 12 oz and 22 oz glass bottles, but I always put up a few soda bottles so I can tell how it's carbing.

I think water bottles will be too thin; they might not hold the pressure.

5 gallon water bottles are food grade and work great for fermenting. I use 5 gallon Kirkland bottles and 4 gallon Sam's club bottles. Only down side is they aren't big enough for a 5 gal batch, but I usually do 7 and 8 gallons and one of each is perfect. They don't break and if you want to you can just throw them away when finished.

If this is to save money, don't even bother.

Why go through all the time effort and money to brew, and then cheap out at the final part to bottle it?

I am thinking of using plastic water bottles from Costco's Kirkland brand water (which is where I got the water I used to mix with my beer kit)

www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Kirkland-Signature-Purified-Drinking-Water,-16.9-oz,-40-ct-.product.11982447.html

Is this acceptable? I know it's not ideal, but is it an absolute no-no, or can it be done?

I always use glass bottle to drink water, beer. Because glass is safer than plastic bottles and it gives better taste, and also good for our healthy life.

Back