Using PBW to clean bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdubbs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got lots of bottles to clean and this new PBW cleaner; anyone use this stuff? What's the easiest way to go about cleaning these suckas?!

Thanks all,

JWS

I use PBW on my carboys; I mix according to the recommendation on the bottle and then let it soak overnight. In the morning I dump it out and it takes all the caked on hop and yeast trub with it, works like a charm. I imagine it would work very well for bottles as well, although it probably wouldn’t be very cost effective. IMO it’s best to use some dish soap, shake the heck out of it for a few seconds to get anything off the bottom, and make sure you sanitize before bottling. I had a few bottles I got from a friend with some mold growing on the bottom so I had to use a bottle brush and then an overnight bleach soak, but I’ve only ever had to do that once. It all depends on how much elbow grease you’re willing to put into it! PBW would definitely = quicker and easier, bottle brush and elbow grease = cheaper.

i got a 50 gallon barrel with PBW solution
just dump it in after use and rinse bottles when its full
then spray with star san before use

Do you have a bottle tree yet? I can really recomend it

I use pbw on all cleaning applications. Works like a charm, especially if you are taking labels off the bottles (if recycling). I put in warm water let sit 30-45 minutes and the labels practically fall off. As for just cleaning the bottles, I agree with previous post, its more cost effective with dish soap, but pbw will clean just about anything great (even a smoker).

I use PBW on my cleaning and it works great. Just soak the bottles for 20-30 minutes in warm water and the labels just fall off. I hit them with a bottle brush and rinse. I then soak them in Star San for 2-5 minutes and on to the bottle tree. If the bottles sit for a long time I just rinse them in Star San before using.

Just a quick word of advice....I rinse every bottle immediately after pouring the beer into a glass...even before tasting the brew....this saves the cleaning of the bottles greatly and you will be glad you did.

I rinse the trub out of the bottles before saving them till cleaning days. I got one of those orange buckets from home cheapo for $5. It'll hold 13 bottles. I make up enough PBW to cover them by about 2",set the lid on,& let'em soak till morning. The labels float off,& 8 out of 10 times,the glue dissolves too. Rogue labels are stubborn,& Sierra Nevada bottles have to be scrubbed lightly on the outside to get the softened glue off.
Way easier than boiling/scrubbing a large mountain of bottles.

I cannot agree with this more. I thought my re used bottles were clean until filling them with PBW after a few fillls. Sloughs the proteins right off the glass

Back