Using oxygen for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbrewer2

Reaction score
I have been using oxygen for several years for my fermentation with the disposal cylinders, but they are so hard to find these days and when you find them they are nearly $20.00. What are you using these days? I've looked online and do see used bottles for reasonable price but what type of connection, size and where to fill them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Commercial (welding) oxygen cylinders use CGA-540 fittings.
You'd need a regulator/flow adjuster for it, $20-40.

My regulator goes all the way down to 1/32 liter/minute, quite useful when oxygenating small batches and yeast starters. However, 1/8 l/m seems more common and just as useful.

Probably stay away from a medical tank. Those usually have a yoke connection for the regulator, not a screw-on. Main reason, you may need a prescription to get it filled unless you have a way around it.

Now once filled, a 20-40 cf tank may last a lifetime... Just shut the tank valve between uses.

My regulator goes all the way down to 1/32 liter/minute, quite useful when oxygenating small batches and yeast starters. However, 1/8 l/m seems more common and just as useful.

Probably stay away from a medical tank. Those usually have a yoke connection for the regulator, not a screw-on. Main reason, you may need a prescription to get it filled unless you have a way around it.

Now once filled, a 20-40 cf tank may last a lifetime... Just shut the tank valve between uses.
Thanks for the info. That is what I needed to know about the connection and what I also needed for a regulator and adjuster. Now I just need to find a welding oxygen cylinder. New ones are so expensive, maybe I can find a good used one.

Yes, but the tank cost are extremally high cost.
I bought a used 60cf O2 tank for $60, shipped.
Then swapped it out for a full one for $10-20, IIRC.
Look on local listings, I've seen them around.

For the price of 3 small disposable tanks you can get a 20-40 cf one, which can last a lifetime of brewing, and then some.

Medical grade oxygen requires prescruption.
Food grade- no prescription.
I got a food grade oxygen that will last forever. Heavy as heck... not cheap.
Airgas rep told.me the food grade was so close to medical grade.
Add to that i brew in less than perfect conditions (i.e. my kitchen, not a hospital)... i figured it was close enough.
And dang sure: food grade= better grade than red disposable!

Only downside- cost. Buy once, cry once.

On the regulator and adjuster can you explain or show what I would need. Do you have a picture or part number of the set-up.

Thanks!

I have a welding style tank that is the same size as a 5lb CO2 tank. I think it cost me $90 full from the welding shop. I do not know if it will ever run out unless I leave the valve open by accident. The little red canisters are not exactly cheap for how little O2 you get in them. Plus you never know when it is going to run out or flow rate etc... One of those things you pick up after brewing for a while to make your life easier.

I have a 20cf O tank I bought for short money on CL and picked up an oxygen regulator/flowmeter on ebay.

Last edited:
I bought a used medical tank that had a regulator on it that happened to also be 90% full. I've been using it for 6 years. If you can score one of these for $40-50 full, then who cares if you can't ever fill it.
Same I picked one of these medical rigs up years ago. Kept my eyes open for an extra tank, came across one, held on to it for years and just tapped it about two brews ago when the original finally crapped out. Got at least 6 years out of it.

Same I picked one of these medical rigs up years ago. Kept my eyes open for an extra tank, came across one, held on to it for years and just tapped it about two brews ago when the original finally crapped out. Got at least 6 years out of it.
Thanks for all the responses on the oxygen tank. I have been looking as per your ideas and that is the route to go and I located a few I'm interested in so, now I won't have to spend money for those little red disposal tanks that are so hard to find and now getting too expensive. Great site to be on and again thanks for your ideas.

John!

I'm ready to spring for a 5lb O² tank, but I'm not clear on what regulator to buy for the tank. Can anyone provide some guidance/insight or suggestions for me. I've been using the red (expensive and not very available) tanks for several years now.
Thanks

I'm ready to spring for a 5lb O² tank, but I'm not clear on what regulator to buy for the tank. Can anyone provide some guidance/insight or suggestions for me. I've been using the red (expensive and not very available) tanks for several years now.
Thanks

Not sure what 5lb tank is compared to say, a 20cf tank.

Is that a medical oxygen tank? If so, I think it's generally recommended to avoid those for refilling considerations and the odd connections.

Here is the 20cf tank and regulator/flowmeter setup I mentioned earlier in the thread.

20230903_110008.jpg

Thanks whoru99 and Bassman2003. Really appreciate the expertise. When I mentioned 5lb I was referring to similar in size and appearance to a 5lb CO² tank. Wasn't sure about how O² was measured.

Thanks whoru99 and Bassman2003. Really appreciate the expertise. When I mentioned 5lb I was referring to similar in size and appearance to a 5lb CO² tank. Wasn't sure about how O² was measured.

For oxygen, nitrogen, argon, etc., because it's all high pressure gas in the cylinder cubic foot is more applicable, rather than mostly liquid like CO2 where pound is more applicable.

Pounds, CO2 aside, seems to be more associated with medical and I think applies to the cylinder weight, not the amount of oxygen in the cylinder.

Last edited:
This is similar to the small regulator I have on my 5lb O2 tank. You want the GCA 540 connection for welding style tanks. CGA 870 is for medical oxygen tanks and a different connection.

These small ones are often called flow meters. I do not think they are used by the welding folks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3942036004...7j1QReeg3C6lAxyLmIUs8NHM0=|tkp:Bk9SR7yU9bnLYg

You've got to pay attention to the flow rate settings of the model you're buying. especially the lower flow rate range.

The one in the link shows number "10" on the left hand dial, in the picture. Not sure what it stands for, there's no adequate description.
But it's likely to mean 10 l/m (liter per minute). That's going to be way too high for oxygenating wort or starters. Now, as long as it goes down to 1 or 1/2 l/m then that's OK, that's a useful flow rate for us.

Here's why:
The recommended flow rate through a 0.5 micron (diffusion) stone in a 5 gallon batch in a homebrew fermenter is 1 liter/min for 1 minute to obtain roughly 8 ppm of Dissolved Oxygen (DO). Or for 2 minutes to obtain 14 ppm DO. Any higher flow rates simply waste O2, as it can't get absorbed that fast on it's way up.

My regulator looks similar to the one in the link, but is not the same. Mine goes from 4 l/min down to as low as 1/32 l/min. That's why I bought that model, for its super low flow range.
I therefore use it at 1/8 l/m for 8 minutes with periodic agitation and moving it around to different spots. There's some foaming but very little surface rippling or bubbling, meaning that much of the oxygen is indeed absorbed (dissolved) on its way to the surface.

For more information and details on aeration and oxygenation of wort:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/aerating-oxygenating-wort

Last edited:
I'm looking at one that is adjustable that is 0.5-15LPM on Amazon $28.58 Is this a good one?

15 LPM Oxygen Regulator CGA-540 w/Barb Outlet by Responsive Respiratory #120-3061​

I'm looking at one that is adjustable that is 0.5-15LPM on Amazon $28.58 Is this a good one?

15 LPM Oxygen Regulator CGA-540 w/Barb Outlet by Responsive Respiratory #120-3061​

Yes, but realize you'd only be using the 2 lowest flow rate settings: 0.5 and 1.0 l/m, which may be all you'd need anyway.

Frankly, whenever posts like this come up, I'm a bit puzzled at how quickly folks are going through O2. I tend to brew two batches a month and a canister of hardware store O2 will last me at least two, more frequently three years. I know this because I write the date on each canister I buy.

I also know that my oxygen use, though modest, is adequate because I'm able to keep a pitch of yeast active for a year and it remains quick to start and fully attenuative. You need very little oxygen as a brewer.

Remember, you don't want to see active bubbling on the surface! All you want to see is a bit of fizzing. If you can't get fizzing, your stone needs to be cleaned. To do this, mix a small amount of PBW/Brewery Wash in a sauce pan and boil your stone/wand for twenty minutes. If that doesn't work, I imagine a soak in Everclear for a week should fix the issue. If that doesn't work, stones are a lot cheaper than oxygen these days.

At any rate, a bigger tank isn't going to make a dirty stone perform better.

You really don't need an oxygen tank if you're doing it right.

Another good point for a proper tank outside of knowing your flow rate, a Lowe's employee told me a lot of folks buy, use and return the red tanks. The weight differential is tough to notice so many times, the empty tanks go back on the shelf. :( So be careful if you are buying these.

I picked up a 40cf (I think) used tank at a local gas supply place then bought a cheap regulator on Amazon. This should last 10 years on a tank. :) make sure to get some inline hepa filters. And shut off the gas supply at the tank after each use.

I did those disposable tanks for a while but they never lasted. Either they leaked or were never full to begin with.

I really didn’t think about buying a full medical oxygen and just treating it as disposable.

Isn't there a seal on the nozzle, such as on small propane/butane canisters?

But yeah... retail is weird.

On mine was a slip-on plastic cap like a propane cylinder. More like a dust cap & thread protector, not something that positively indicates the cyl. has been used/connected.

Last edited:
Frankly, whenever posts like this come up, I'm a bit puzzled at how quickly folks are going through O2. I tend to brew two batches a month and a canister of hardware store O2 will last me at least two, more frequently three years. I know this because I write the date on each canister I buy.

Considering those setups typically don't have flowmeters it's not surprising it would be quite easy to use a lot more than may be necessary.

Not at all helpful but I just use dry yeast and don't worry about it.

Have you looked at welding suppliers?

Same. For years I thought liquid yeast was the big reason my beers tasted great (good fermentation). Nope. I've been using dry yeast the past 2 years and haven't looked back. So much easier as well. Especially if you're a new brewer. Dry Voss Kveik should be recommended for all Newbie starter kits. Not worrying about temperature is huge for beginners

Latest posts

Back