using lactose for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herkojerko

Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch. It was a Caramel Cream Ale recipe that was to be primed with 4 oz vanilla and 1 cup lactose. I cut back on the vanilla to 2 oz to cut back on the sweetness. My question is being that lactose is unfermentable does that mean I might not have enough sugar to carbonate? Thanks

Um, hate to tell you this....

Unless I'm an idiot and there IS sugar in vanilla extract, you're not going to get ANY carbonation. Lactose doesn't ferment. There's nothing for the yeast to consume.

I will desist from getting on my soapbox about priming with substances other than corn sugar or DME, I pissed someone off yesterday.

You know now that I go back and check out the recipe I missed the 1-1/2 cups of priming sugar. I guess dropping in some priming pills would be the best option now? Only 48 caps wasted.

Yeah..bummer man. If nothing else, you can try it "Real Ale" style. I'd keep it capped until you can buy some carb drops.

Oops!

You can try an eyedropped full of corn syrup in each bottle.

This would be an exception to the Don't Use Corn Syrup rule. Since it is already charged up with vanilla, a little more won't hurt.

the_bird said:
I will desist from getting on my soapbox about priming with substances other than corn sugar or DME, I pissed someone off yesterday.

Damn Bird, you must be one mean SOB to keep pissing people off like that:D :D

herkojerko said:
just popped in 4 muntons carb tabs per bottle and resealed. Hope for the best

let us know if you get those white floater things in your beer from those... I know I wont be using muntons carb tabs anymore just cause of that.

Back