Using kviek in an ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadProphet

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Nose Goblin ipa yesterday and haven't pitched yeast yet. Problem is that it's still too warm for the recipe. Been trying to cool it all night. Could I use a kviek yeast instead and get it pitched or is this batch hosed.

Temp is now 74, recipe calls for 62!

This is my second batch so be somewhat gentle.

Can you do an Ice and water bath? If not my Kveiks pitched at 74-76 are very good. They can be explosive when 1.060 and up. Voss makes a nice IPA but I'm finding Lutra to be muting some flavors.

I got it down to 69 and pitched. Fingers crossed.
I'm using the cooling rod for the Anvil Crucible and lots of ice! I started my day yesterday at 7am, but it was 95 by the time I transferred. Just could not get it cool overnight. Let's hope I can keep it cool from here.

I’ve used both Voss and Hornindal fermented in the 90s to get the esters from the yeast in my session NEIPA with great results. In the end I preferred the Hornindal for the tropical fruit esters it produces. Voss gives more citrus notes. Oh, and fermenting in the 90s the beer hits FG in a couple of days. Those yeasts are a beast!

I got it down to 69 and pitched. Fingers crossed.

It sounds like you did NOT pitch a Kveik yeast (like the title of this thread pushes people to assume). What yeast did you use?

But as far as the thread title goes, I have used Voss in a number of Pale Ales and IPAs. I enjoy the citrus character, but it is something to account for in recipe design. Most of my Voss beers stay pretty hazy, even with modest amounts of hops. I have typically fermented at 85F.

I have been starting to play around with Lutra lately in some 1-gallon batches. I am probably more interested in using Lutra as a simple replacement for a yeast like US-05 than for making pseudo-lagers.

I used Lutra Kveik on a NEIPA I brewed 2 weeks ago and pitched at 90F; I wanted to use Voss but couldn't get my hands on it by brew day. The beer came out good, but still has a little hop burn as it was dry hopped a little over a week ago; fermentation was done in 24-48 hours and this batch went from grain to glass in 5 days. I made the decision to only use kveik in summer months, until I get proper temperature control set up.

So a couple of things - joined in 2015 convinced I would brew. Actually started June of 22. Life has a tendency to get in the way of plans. Pitched the yeast that came with the kit - I believe Wyeast A07.

All I've read has led me to believe that temp control while fermentation is ongoing is key. Is that not the case when using kviek? When the recipe calls for 68, can that be discarded when using kviek?

In any event, I'm going for a Brewbuilt chiller this week. It's around 100 here for three months of the year and it's clear my cooler and ice based chilling system isn't going to work. It's all a learning (and spending!) game.

My third brew will be the charm!

Kveik likes warmer temperatures (68F–95F for Lutra) which works if you live in warm climate and do not have temperature control. All I did was stay within that range and didn't aim for the lower or upper boundary. I do not know much about flavors that will occur at each temperature within the range.

For IPA's, I found the largest improvement I made was avoiding cold side oxygen exposure. My IPA's went from turning brown over time and tasting like cardboard (I almost gave up on brewing because I couldn't figure out my problem), to looking like OJ (NEIPA's) and tasting great. My next move is more precise temperature control.

This is the one I brewed 2 weeks ago.
PXL_20220709_010600092.jpg

All I've read has led me to believe that temp control while fermentation is ongoing is key. Is that not the case when using kviek? When the recipe calls for 68, can that be discarded when using kviek?
Sure can.

The temperature the recipe calls for is based on the recommended yeast. When the yeast changes, so does the recommended temperature.

Voss works great at 90-95F, for instance. It'll still work at 68F, but you'll get less of the orangey thing it's known for and it'll take longer (though still not as long as a typical ale yeast).

One thing to remember is that kveik likes more yeast nutrient than most strains. I have never added extra nutrient with it, but I also dump my entire kettle contents into the fermenter, which means the yeast has plenty of trub to use for fuel. ymmv.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I figured only the yeast mattered when it came to fermentation temperatures, but I wasn't certain. Both of my first two brews have been spoiled by - I hope - fermentation temperature. I'm hoping kviek can help that.

Now I can make other mistakes.

Kveik likes warmer temperatures (68F–95F for Lutra) which works if you live in warm climate and do not have temperature control. All I did was stay within that range and didn't aim for the lower or upper boundary. I do not know much about flavors that will occur at each temperature within the range.

For IPA's, I found the largest improvement I made was avoiding cold side oxygen exposure. My IPA's went from turning brown over time and tasting like cardboard (I almost gave up on brewing because I couldn't figure out my problem), to looking like OJ (NEIPA's) and tasting great. My next move is more precise temperature control.

This is the one I brewed 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 775172
Hey.

I want to revive this thread with a question. Thinking of brewing my first NEIPA and my first Kveik beer at the same time... but...
I keep reading about the importance of adding a ton of hops during the peak fermentation to get the biotransformation. At the same time, heard Kveik can be done with the job in less than a day. How do you time your hop additions with Kveik? Just watching it really carefully?

Hey.

I want to revive this thread with a question. Thinking of brewing my first NEIPA and my first Kveik beer at the same time... but...
I keep reading about the importance of adding a ton of hops during the peak fermentation to get the biotransformation. At the same time, heard Kveik can be done with the job in less than a day. How do you time your hop additions with Kveik? Just watching it really carefully?
Most brewers, at least here, are not adding hops during active primary, especially for NEIPAs. The consensus around here is to actually soft crash to 50F for 24-48 hours, then add your dry hops. Let free rise to 60F if you want, then keg. Personally, I soft crash to 50F for 24-48 hours, dry hop, keep at 50F and keg within 48 hours. DHing with yeast still fermenting can cause harshness and astringency. Soft crashing before helps/eliminates hop burn from the polyphenols.

Back