Using kegerator as a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitefoam

Reaction score
Did anyone use their kegerator as a fermentation chamber? Obviously, the temperature should be regulated to a lower temperature most likely by using an external temperature controller. But the inside of the kegerator should be large enough to hold the fermentation bucket and the airlock.

Happy July 4th!

Katia

I use it for my lagers. Having the kegs up to 48° isnt ideal and messes with my pours a bit but it isnt a big deal to me. fermenting at
60-68 though might be another story.

I just found this insulating bag used for homebrewing: http://www.cool-brewing.com/

It was discussed on this forum five years ago and has good reviews. This solves the problem of temperature control, so I ordered one! They sell it on Amazon too.

I was looking into kegerators in case I could get multiple uses out of one since I won't be using it to dispense beer that often. But I will try this bag first and then use a mini kegerator.

Obviously, the temperature should be regulated to a lower temperature most likely by using an external temperature controller.

Just to clarify, the temperature should be regulated to a higher temp, not lower. Generally you're serving temps would be <=40°F, whereas your fermenting temps would be 60°-70°F for ales and 45°-60°F for lagers.

Back