Using Hop Oil/extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
I haven't used hop oil before in my brews but was thinking to use it. I was wondering, if you used hop oil/extract. Would you need to add hops during the boil or would the extract take care of it?

Never heard of this! Hmmm, I'm not sure what the advantage would be over actual hops - why are you thinking about of using hop oil/extract?

The commercial (Craft brewers) brewers use it for consistency in IPAs . I was thinking of trying it out and was wondering if using the extract would be a shortcut in wort boil time.

Is iso alpha extract available for homebrewers? Commercial brewers use it to cut down on trub in the kettle. Less trub=less wort loss. If you were to use it, add it to the boil like you would any hop addition.

I'm pretty sure they had some info on it in the Lagunitas IPA "Can You Brew It" episode. Lagunitas uses it in their IPA, but Jamil and Tasty deemed it wasn't readily available to homebrewers.

WOW, I know many commercial breweries use it, I didn't know hop extract was available to homebrewers. Not that I think I would use it....I kinda like pitching in a nice ounce of hops, fresh or pellets.

Yup, Hop Shot sold at Northern Brewer. Not sure what kinds though.

I believe that you only need to sanitize/pasteurize your extract wort, add the oil and you're done brewing... :D

In theory right? but is that really it? seems to good to be true... What about the antibacterial properties of hops, is that encapsulated in the extract?

One down side is that i've only seen on type of the extract, no variation.

Extract for bittering, normal hops for flavor and aroma, seems like a decent plan to me.

I've been thinking about trying it for awhile, but thanks to group buys I haven't bought anything from NB in awhile.

In theory right? but is that really it? seems to good to be true... What about the antibacterial properties of hops, is that encapsulated in the extract?

One down side is that i've only seen on type of the extract, no variation.
I'm assuming you meant to say "one" type of extract. Since they're used for bittering then you would only need to boil the extract wort just enough to add your flavoring and aroma hops (if applicable) and you're done. ;)

Hop extract = bittering
Hop oil = aroma

You should limit the use of hop extract to 1/2 the IBUs for a brew. This is a stabilized form of alpha acids and has its own kind of bitterness.

Back