Using hop bags for Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Short and sweet question. Can I add my Irish moss to the hop bags that also holds the finishing hops (10 minute boil before flame-out) or would this be a bad idea, with the carrageenan extracted from the Irish moss clogging up the pores of the hop bag?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

// FvW

You want to add the Irish Moss to the entire boil kettle. The purpose is to precipitate the stuff that is not trapped in the hop bag. Don't worry, it will all fall out in the fermenter.

Bad idea. Either the particles will get trapped in the bag - in which case it won't be doing it's job. Or, the particles won't get trapped in the bag, in which case it was pointless to put it in the bag in the first place.

Irish Moss does make the brewkettle look like egg drop soup (which is the point). It all settles out in the fermenter though.

Thanks for the info, guys. It tells me what I need to know: not to even bother trying this. Once again an ounce of your experience is worth a pound of my stuff-ups. :) It's greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

// FvW

Back