using frozen cans to chill wot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dara

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a new brewer from Chapel Hill, NC. I saw some threads about using plastic bottle to chill wort and there was some concern about the plastic melting.....but what about freezing a six pack of coca cola cans, sanitizing them and dropping them into the working so they work like 6 giant ice cubes that don't melt? Also, the foil of a can conducts the cold better than the plastic bottles.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Dara

Hi all, I'm a new brewer from Chapel Hill, NC. I saw some threads about using plastic bottle to chill wort and there was some concern about the plastic melting.....but what about freezing a six pack of coca cola cans, sanitizing them and dropping them into the working so they work like 6 giant ice cubes that don't melt? Also, the foil of a can conducts the cold better than the plastic bottles.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Dara

Search this topic has been covered numerous times. Its generally not good to use anything other than a chiller or ice bath to cool to wort. I could see this turning out not good at all.

I'm guessing your just doing extract so if you put your top off water in the freezer and get it cold then you dont have to chill it in an ice bath for too long.

Last time I froze a coke can my freezer had frozen coke all over it.

+1
Yeah, freezing coke is going to cause it to explode or at the very least break the seal. Also, the printing on the outside of the can could also dissolve into your boiling wort. I like your thinking though, outside the box.

Hmmm....

Back