Using flavor syrups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyfun

Reaction score
I know the brewshops sell small bottles of flavor concentrate, mostly fruit flavors. Can I use flavor syrups like what you would put in coffee? It's made with sugar but has some preservatives in it.
If it is usable, is there a recommended starting range for adding the syrup? ie-1 cup per 5 gallon batch?

The extracts they sell in brewshops is non-fermentable (at least all the ones I have seen are) while the coffee flavoring has loads of sugar and potential fermentables. The preservatives in the coffee flavorings might mess with your brew as well. Most likely you would end up with either non-feremented sugar in the final product, making for a sweet brew, OR mild at best flavoring with a boost to ABV. Considering that the recommended dose for a 12 oz. coffee is 1 oz. of coffee flavoring . . . that would calculate out to approx. 50 oz. of flavoring for a 5-gal batch of brew, or two whole bottles of coffee flavoring . . . I can not begin to calculate the vast amount of sugar that would add.

Dang, now I want to try that "chemistry experiment" to actually prove it can or can not be done. :confused:

Back