Using expired US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPBrewer

Reaction score
Just brewed a 11 batch of an American Style Witbier and noticed the expiration date on 2 of the US-05 is 02/2012 (the other is 04/15). Will there be a high enough cell count if I pitch 2 packs into 5.5 gal. wort?

You are correct, 11 gallons. I noticed the omission after I sent the post. Sorry, 6 hours of brewing/drinking has that effect on me. At least I hit all my targets.

Fermentis
One sachet of 11.5g is suitable to brew 15 to 22 litres of beer (4 to 6 gallons). For lagers, use two sachets of yeast when brewing at cold temperature (12°C or below)
you could have made a starter also with the older packets.

Did it proof when you mixed it into 80-90*F water? If so your good. If not ...hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If the yeast was refrigerated, you are probably fine. While it will have lost some viability, it won't all be dead. Pitch rates are estimates anyway. But watch it and see. If the lag time is unusually long, you can pitch more. But I think it will work fine.

US-05 is really not a Witbier yeast, you're going to be missing out on the esters and other yummy things. WY3944 would be more in line, and I would use that instead, but you'll need 3-4 packages as you have no time to make a starter. That's $26 for the yeast alone <ugh>.

I've used US-05 that was 2 years past exp. date (frozen for all those years) and it was a bit slow taking off in the starter I made, but ended up fine.

Can you get an extra sachet or 2 and pitch those along with what you pitched already? Re-hydrate them properly though!

Back