Using chrome-plated brass disconnects in mash recirculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lautzki

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my kettle by building a Clawhammer-esque mash recirculation system with a spray nozzle. However, I just realized that the quick disconnects, that connect the spray nozzle and the pump's silicone hose, are made of chrome-plated brass.

How risky is it to use these repeatedly in recirculation? It seems that I'm not able to find SS ones from anywhere locally and most of the eBay options are a bit too costly shipping-wise.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Although stainless would be optimal, you're recirculating (hot) wort at a pH of only around 5.2-5.4 for 60-90 minutes a time.

I seriously doubt there would be much dissolving of the chrome plating, or the brass underneath, after the chrome has eventually worn off.
Starsan at pH 2.7-3.0 does a much quicker job on dissolving those, and it still takes quite a bit of time, several days to weeks under constant submergence.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Although stainless would be optimal, you're recirculating (hot) wort at a pH of only around 5.2-5.4 for 60-90 minutes a time.

I seriously doubt there would be much dissolving of the chrome plating, or the brass underneath, after the chrome has eventually worn off.
Starsan at pH 2.7-3.0 does a much quicker job on dissolving those, and it still takes quite a bit of time, several days to weeks under constant submergence.
Thank you!

Back