Using built in temperature control for fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickThoR

Reaction score
I have a fridge I plan to temp control, but don't have the controller stuff for it yet. Has anyone ever just used the regular built in temp control for fermenting an ale? I'll be brewing a blue moon clone with us05, and I was hoping to ferment it as low as it'll go, around 60.

Bump. Any body? I'll be brewing this tomorrow morning. I guess my main concern is if the temperature controller fluctuates too much without a specifically bought aftermarket one. Also the fridge is actually an old kegerator if that matters

60 degrees would be really warm for a fridge... I think they're designed to run in the 35-45ish range.

Gonefishing is right, there is no way that a commercial fridge will be warm enough to ferment. I have a b***h of a time getting mine to sit above 37F even on the hottest setting. You definitely need a temperature regulator.

Have you given the frig a test run to see if it will maintain temp somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 deg using internal controls?? The built in controls may not go that warm as Gonefishing pointed out. Do you have a remote thermometer so you can see the internal temp without opening the door?

Back