Using Brewing Pot For Frying?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman53

Reaction score
I have a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer. I've only used it for brewing. If I did use it to fry something would I be doing anything that would affect future batches of beer?

Thanks for your input,
D

I have never done this, but I have read it is nearly impossible to get the burnt oil flavor out of the pot and it will leach into your beer. Again, I have only read that.

I have also heard that the residual oils from frying destroy any chance of getting decent head in the future.

Or conversely, it would be hard to get hops and wort flavor out of your food.

IMO, if you clean it well, you can use it for anything. It's a metal vessel. Metal doesn't usually tend to retain lingering flavors. I know stainless pots are fine this way.

I have steamed clams and wings in a SS pot and it is spotless for brewing. My alum pots not so much. I am building a brew pot from a keg and it will only be for beer....unless I need to steam crabs...mmmmmm crab beer :)

Thanks for the input. Once I read "getting decent head" I knew one of you would chime in with some witty banter. = )

Back