using an old, non-USB printer with a newer 'puter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, simple question, someone has to know the answer...

I have an older printer that works great. Have extra ink, it's pretty efficient, had to just throw it away (it's an HP). But, it's old enough where it's pre-USB, it only has a serial port.

New 'puter, of course, doesn't have a serial port, only USB.

Short of dropping some coin on a new printer (which I don't want to do unless absolutely necessary, extra coin goes towards kegging ;)), is there any way of hooking an old, serial-only printer up to the new 'puter? Is there some kind of go-between device, some kind of emulater or modulator or transmogrifier or whatever that can make this happen pretty cheaply?

you mean it's an old HP printer and it's not printing out jibberish and spewing out page after page of blank paper? that's odd......

By the time you get a USB to serial adapter and fiddled with it, you could have bought a brand new fast inkjet for less than $100. Sometimes it pays to bite the bullet and step into the new technology. You can get a Samsung ML-2250 laser printer for about $150 and it works great. Printers have gotten so cheap as it's all about the ink cartridges.

Here's an HP Deskjet printer at Fry's for $39.99 and it has a USB interface.

I donated all my old printers to Goodwill long ago. I have a few PCs I have to take in as well now.

Donate, take the tax deduction.

dump the HP and get a Canon. I have a Canon Pixma iP4200 and I love it. Got it a couple years ago at CompUSA. I originally was looking for an all-in-one but decided to get this one for printing my doc's and photos and I bought an Epson scanner to go with it.

Actually, it probably is parallel, not serial. Have to count the pins to check. A $10 solution is what I have in mind; any solution costing more than $20 results in a new printer being acquired.

todd_k said:
you mean it's an old HP printer and it's not printing out jibberish and spewing out page after page of blank paper? that's odd......

Wow, I thought mine HP was posessed when it started doing that when I decided to print out this years tax return. I guess it isn't an anomoly, it's an HP!:p

Glibbidy said:
Wow, I thought mine HP was posessed when it started doing that when I decided to print out this years tax return. I guess it isn't an anomoly, it's an HP!:p

I had 2 HP printers that started doing that crap. I don't understand why a printer needs to make so make noise before printing something from Notepad and then spew out 20 pages of nonsense. That's why I got a Canon.

I've never had a single problem with an HP... that's pretty much all we use in the office, that's all that I've owned at the house. Of course, I'm also not in the habit of using Notepad ;)

todd_k said:
I had 2 HP printers that started doing that crap. I don't understand why a printer needs to make so make noise before printing something from Notepad and then spew out 20 pages of nonsense. That's why I got a Canon.

Sounds like a corrupted driver. If this happens to anyone else, go to their website and download the latest drivers for your model.

And delete the existing driver. HP laser printers are freaking rock solid. I've seen more than one old school LJ 3 printing clean and clear.

no, sorry, tried that more than once. HP just sucks ass.

Back