Using Amylaze enzyme in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Well bottle doesn't come with directions so I come to the masters for this question.

If I add this to a pilsner base, how much should I add and will temperature of 149ish denature it or prevent it from working?

Amylaze enzyme is most often used to dry a beer out after primary fermentation is complete. Two interesting styles that AE can be used to make are the American Ultra Light Lager and the Japanese Dry beer.

That being said, I have used it in the mash as an experiment to see if I could speed up the mash time. Unfortunately I did not notice any appreciable difference in conversion times. However, the ranges of temperatures and pH level required to do a full study were not attempted.

When I added it to my mash I added 1 tspn. I would think that 149 is not hot enough to denature it.

Why do you want to use this in the mash?

m.

I picked it up when another beer stalled and refused to move after stiring up yeast and repitching. Figured I have most of it left, why not try it out in the mash to see what happens.

I'm going to shelve this for now and try it later when I do a 10 gallon batch to see what happens between the two.

The reason to add it to the mash is to improve your yield. If you are satisfied with your efficiency, no need, if you think there's room to improve. Go for it.

The reason to add it to the mash is to improve your yield. If you are satisfied with your efficiency, no need, if you think there's room to improve. Go for it.

Unsure about the yield yet, first time with brewmasterswarehouse crush. I've had good and bad results from lhbs crushes last two brews, 60s vs the 78 and 80 I got from Austin.

In that case. This experiment might be more valuable to you if you wait till you're more sure of an expected yield, so you can measure the impact of the amylase.

Back